Heartworm/flea/wormer....

Guest Alysmom

Hi -- Me again, looking for more advice!! :) Living in the Northwest, I have never been advised to do heartworm prevention on any of my dogs (it is rarely seen here). The adoption group advised that since this group of dogs came from the east coast, heartworm prevention is advised.

Okay. Now -- Advantage Canine Multi -- does heartworm, fleas and worming. Hmmmmm, sounds like a great thing to do it all at once, but on the other hand, it sure sounds like a lot of chemicals. My dogs have always lived inside - just gone out to do their business and right back in. I've never had a dog with worms, so I have never wormed a dog. I have horses, and of course, grazers need to be wormed regularly. I am just wondering whether I should order Heartguard and just do the heartworms or do the multi-Advantage since I need to cover the fleas as well..... or am I better off just doing the Frontline for fleas separagely???

I am interested to hear what others are doing on this...

Thanks,

Julie

Your dogs don't get walked or exercised? Oh, I'd have a rebellion on my hands!!

The recommendation to treat them for heartworm because they're from the east makes little sense to me. They need to be TESTED for heartworm, yes. But if they don't have it, they don't have it. Monthly preventative will not treat heartworm.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I do monthly Heartguard and Frontline Plus . Now at this time I take it easy on Frontline as we have less Flea's. Heartguard is a must.

This is the best combination I've found to cover all your bases. Advantage Multi doesn't cover ticks, which have been really bad this year. K9 Advantix does, but I don't use it because I have cats (it can be deadly to them). I take my greys everywhere- they go to dog parks, meet and greets, hiking trails, parks, etc. So I use flea and heartworm preventative all year round. This might help you.

Guest BrianRke

Your dogs don't get walked or exercised? Oh, I'd have a rebellion on my hands!!

The recommendation to treat them for heartworm because they're from the east makes little sense to me. They need to be TESTED for heartworm, yes. But if they don't have it, they don't have it. Monthly preventative will not treat heartworm.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Of course I walk my dog..... :) I was making reference to getting into things that cause worms.... We have five fenced acres also. When Winnie becomes reliable to be able to catch her, I will let her run --- at this point, she is difficult to catch inside the house!!!

I was primarily concerned by an overload of chemicals. I am not a person who even likes to take much medication for myself unless it is completely necessary.... I am just trying to decide. I wasn't aware of the tick thing, we don't have many ticks around here so I will need to check into that part.... (I've never even seen a tick!!)

Of course I walk my dog..... :)

I knew what you meant :)

I think Frontline and Heartguard is your best combination.

That was my initial feeling on it....I just wanted to get some reassurance....When I looked at the products online, I saw this "combo" product and I wasn't aware such a thing was available!! I still feel so overwhelmed in my loss of Homer, I just want to do everything the very best way I can for Winnie. I guess a person always worries that something could have been done differently and maybe the outcome would have been different. I still miss him so.....(every single day!!!)