Fleas

Guest FrankieWylie

Guest FrankieWylie

Magic is allergic to fleas. One bite and he is itching for weeks. We have had to change up their flea medicine because the previous one didn't seem to be working a full month....actually not even close.

Now this new one seems to be having less of an effect as the month wears on. If there is ever a sign of fleas at the end of the month then we usually dose them with capstar, bath them and apply their monthly med. I swear it seems as though only Magic gets fleas. And not a lot by any means, but all it takes is one for him.

What are we doing wrong? How can we keep our itchy boy flea free?

Have you tried Comfortis, the monthly flea control pill? Capstar only works for a few days. Topicals never worked here. In the house I used Flea Maxx, purchased at this small company. I was a powder that I sprinkled on all the carpets, then "pushed" in it by swishing with a broom. Let it sit for a 3 days, then vacuum. It is pet safe.

http://fleamaxx.com/

http://fleamaxx.com/index.php/fleamaxx2000/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest team_tonio

fleas are something awful this year... at least here. I feel your pain!!!

My vet suggested a cycle to rid it... she said if you see even just a few fleas, you need to treat the house. It took about 2 months. She recommended a spray for the house which just needed an hour or so to be left alone though it smelled a bit so open windows and doors thereafter... you need to do that twice, three weeks apart. Don't forget to do the Car at the same time! vacuum a LOT and dump the bag. I washed the dog bedding, toys, and human bedding during the spray time in HOT water at the laundromat. Then applied the topical at the same time too. That's what worked for us. We are flea free... finally! good luck - fleas suck!

Oh... And I was also thinking of switching to Comfortis when spring comes next year. Everyone seems to love it...

Guest FrankieWylie

Thanks! We usually do the bedding, furniture and rugs when we do the washing and new dose. However, we just vaccum the furniture and haven't done the car....good call there!

I'll look into the sprays/powder for the furniture and rugs.

Team_Tonio, YES, the fleas and ticks have been HORRIBLE here. When we switched flea/tick meds, we also sprayed the yard. We haven't had any ticks since. however......fleas just keep on showing up!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest memadeit

here is a home remidy that is helping my house. Cut a lemon up and pour boiling water to cover. Let it sit over night. Spray on the pet. The lemon helps with the Ph balance of the skin so fleas don't like it as much. It really cuts the scratching a lot.