Toenails...advice?

Guest kkaiser104

Starting off just spend a few seconds on each nail. If your dog gets too nervous, just do one foot a day (or even 1 nail every few hours). Don't keep the dremel against the nail, I just do long taps on the nail so it doesn't heat up. If I get near the quick, my dogs will usually start pulling their feet back and then I stop for that nail. Once you get them down, you can do every few weeks to keep them tidy.

Guest kkaiser104

Starting off just spend a few seconds on each nail. If your dog gets too nervous, just do one foot a day (or even 1 nail every few hours). Don't keep the dremel against the nail, I just do long taps on the nail so it doesn't heat up. If I get near the quick, my dogs will usually start pulling their feet back and then I stop for that nail. Once you get them down, you can do every few weeks to keep them tidy.

I've only been spending a few seconds on each nail, and he's starting to pull he's feet back so I think the front nails are as short as they're going to get for now. We'll work on the back feet in a few hours. I'm trying to do them like the doberman instructions say too--parallel to the floor--but it's hard! Will it get easier with time to do that?

I'm glad that the marshmallows are working for you. :D And that your hound is cooperative. You're smart to stop before he gets to the point where he doesn't like it any more.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).