Partial Achilles Tear (Gastrocnemius) And Resulting Flexor Tendon Cont

Guest Dogandcatlover

Guest Dogandcatlover

Does anyone here have any experience / knowledge of flexor tendon lengthening or release procedures or dogs who have had similar as a result of an unrecognized or untreated partial Achilles tendon injury ?

Our grey apparently tore the gastocnemius part of his achilles tendon complex in his hind leg a few months ago and it was never repaired. As a result he now weight bares well but is developing clawing of the foot and our consultant vet surgeon feels he will over the next several months continue to get worse and requires lengthening of the flexor tendons on the underside of his paw to allow the foot to plant properly

I've seen it several times, and each case was rehabilitated with daily massage using liniment, numotizine, and ichthammol, along with poultice wraps and controlled exercise. No surgery.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

back in 2007, I went thru this with my boy Rascal. He had torn the achilles tendons in both legs in a "fun" run.

One leg healed fine, the other leg the tendon was too tight and that foot was all bunched up and tight.

My surgeon went in and released a tendon in the foot,, under the toes if i remember right - and after several weeks of healing, he was as good as new -kind-of. :) His toes were floppy and looked funny, but he and I didn't care. He walked again without a limp or pain,,, he would do short jogs around the yard - but he never really did RUN again. he was 10 by this time and took his retirement seriously so I never worried about it.

He was a wonderful Happy, boy! I sure miss him!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Dogandcatlover

Thanks so far but the Achilles tendon at the hock seems quite functional albeit thickened and chronically inflamed its true clawing of the toes the increasing flexion that's causing the problems because he is not planting his foot properly he is really up on his toes on that foot

I would contact this company to see if they have a brace to help support/restore proper function of that tendon/ligament.

http://www.orthovet.com/

I so wish i had known of this company for my boy Rascal!

keeping the link : may i never have to use them ~

L-

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Dogandcatlover

Brindles - we have no medical reports about him at all. He raced at wheeling. AA. 30+ races last won march 27. Races twice after poor showing and faded badly May 1 2012 and was never raced after that. Put up for adoption early July. Likely crated to rest may and June but no information. Judging by the thickness of the Achilles tendon about 3-4cm long and calcification at the calcaneal insertion points our vet thinks months maybe 3-6. But who knows.

Edited by Dogandcatlover

I see. Wasn't sure if it was a racing injury or if it happened at home. I'd try the methods I mentioned above. I think you'll be surprised at how well it works. Can you post a picture?

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh