Main Pad On Foot Peeling!

Guest kirstenbergren

Guest kirstenbergren

I noticed yesterday that PJ was licking is right front foot. No big deal, right? When I finally looked at why he was licking it before bed I noticed that the main pad on his foot is peeling! I've never seen this before on a dog. What should I do? He lets me touch it without making a fuss, so I don't think it bothers him. Underneath it look like normal pad. No blood, or anything like that. The only way I can explain it is that it's like when I've cut myself shaving my legs really bad and you have a flap of skin hanging on by the end of the slice of skin you've just cut. Here are a few pictures I took this morning....

260502_3543181387549_1414425515_n.jpg

This first picture you can kinda see how it's kinda like a little bubble of pad. (don't know how to explain).

555733_3543181627555_1244459670_n.jpg

In this second picture I tried to flap up the "flap" of pad. It's hanging on to his pad by the little bit of pad on the left of the "flap".

So I'm just wondering if this happens normally?? Is there anything I should do to it? He didn't have any trauma happen to his feet, so I don't know why it's doing this. It just seems so strange to me.

Thanks for the help!

Keep it clean. I find soaking the paw in epsom salt bath a couple times a day helps with quick healing. Other than that, there isn't much you can do other than stop them from licking as best you can.

Check to make sure nothing is embedded. Likely he caught something while walking to rip it, I also find (at least with my clumsy guys) their back feet catch the front when they run and injure themselves that way. I can't imagine something like this "naturally occurring". Likely a little boo boo from something he stepped on or stepped on himself.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If a flap becomes mostly detached I'd snip it off so it doesn't catch and rip further on anything. He may be limpy/sensitive for a few days until the underneath part toughens up, but it will.

Bag Balm is good for softening/moisturizing rough or cracked pads, but I don't know that it will make much difference here -- I agree he must have caught it on something, maybe just running on the rough hard dry ground we have now in the Midwest.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest kirstenbergren

We were at the dog park on Saturday evening. So he could have caught it on something there. He was running with some other greyhounds and they were sure going crazy. I was just worried that if I cut it off, that I would really hurt him. We've only had him for about 3 months now, and I'm the one he trusts the most.

I guess I'll suck it up and put on his muzzle tonight to try to cut the flap off. The pad underneath it looks really good, just a little softer. It should toughen up pretty soon I would think. He's a big licker, so keeping him away from licking it is tough. I'll make sure nothing gets infected.

looks like a slice to me. let it dry out and fall off naturally. it can hurt if you cut it too close. he's most likely going to trim it himself, that's what my dogs do. in a week or less all should be healed. welcome to the club- lots of cuts, nicks, dents and scrapes to come. let your dog enjoy himself, everything seems to heal in due time.

Guest kirstenbergren

Maybe I'll trim a little of the dry stuff off, but if he complains I'll let him do it on his own. I'll put on some ointment so that it doesn't get infected.

He came to us with a 4-5 inch gash on his shoulder that was stitched up and another cut on his side that he got in foster care. He has also gotten 2 other cuts on the inside of his hind legs from the neighbor dog's tie-out rope. I've got plenty of first-aid stuff.

I was worried when I cut a piece off Beth's pad when she ripped it, but the hanging flap is just dead skin, doesn't hurt any more than cutting off a hanging cuticle on your own finger. The underneath pad will toughen quickly -- Beth's went from raw to normal-looking black in about a week or so.

Put his muzzle on him if you want to stop him licking. Some duct tape over the end part if necessary.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad