Brushing Inside Of Teeth

Guest Celestrina

Guest Celestrina

I've heard that you don't really need to brush the inside of their teeth because their tongue will take care of that. Is this true? Do you brush the inside of your pup's teeth?

Guest BlingDogs

I always brush the inside of Do's teeth. Hers are nice and rotted though, so her remaining ones need a lot of attention.

1. I lift up her cheek flaps and brush the outside of her back teeth, on both sides.

2. I hold her around the nose and brush the outside of her front teeth- her 'smile'.

3. I put my thumb behind her bottom canines (in her mouth) and my other fingers around the bottom of her jaw. Then I brush the inside of her bottom front teeth.

4. Turning around, I put my inder finger in her mouth with a thumb under her chin and middle finger over her nose. I brush the roof of her mouth and inside of her upper teeth. I also brush the inside of her back teeth this way.

5. Give her a piece of chicken strip and we're done!

It sounds like a lot but it only takes 3 minutes and her breath is so much better since.

Guest itsagreytlife

I saw a thread on this subject here not too long ago and someone did say they had problems that originated from the inside teeth. After reading that, I try and brush both sides. Selah has a huge overbite and I guess it to be the reason she does NOT like me brushing her front teeth. Its our nightly struggle. Ya gotta laugh. (And her teeth are really gross (brown) and she has beginning periodontal disease, etc.)

Guest team_tonio

interesting.... my vet told me saliva does wonders for keeping teeth clean... greys tend to smile and not cover their teeth with their lips often which doesn't help their teeth at all... would make sense that the inside of the teeth stay cleaner if this were really the case?? :dunno

would love to hear more on this!

Guest CharlEYp

i heard that the tongue is abrasive on this inside (i'm pretty sure it was in the post / survey regarding teeth brushing.)

I havn't actually asked my vet however Al just had 9 teeth removed and the rest have been cleaned my the vet, she said daily brushing using the finger brushes was best but didn't mention anything about the inside. :dunno

The soft, rubber bristles of finger brushes aren't abrasive enough to be effective. I prefer to use a soft toothbrush, or even just a gauze square wrapped around your finger. It's best if you can brush the insides too - most dogs don't get as much plaque and tartar build up on the insides of there teeth, but some actually get it worse there (no idea why). I find it easier to 'brush' the insides using gauze around a finger as you can go by feel instead of trying to manipulate a toothbrush.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Celestrina

The soft, rubber bristles of finger brushes aren't abrasive enough to be effective. I prefer to use a soft toothbrush, or even just a gauze square wrapped around your finger. It's best if you can brush the insides too - most dogs don't get as much plaque and tartar build up on the insides of there teeth, but some actually get it worse there (no idea why). I find it easier to 'brush' the insides using gauze around a finger as you can go by feel instead of trying to manipulate a toothbrush.

Should there be any toothpaste on the gauze?

Guest EvanstonGrey

Should there be any toothpaste on the gauze?

I use toothpaste on the gauze square - my hound LOVES the paste, not so much my poking around in her mouth, but we're working on it :)