Burn-Like Mark On Bald Skin?

UPDATE 6pm: I took photos. Here are some:

B-Skinmark-2.jpg

B-Skinmark-1.jpg

This is quite strange, but I think Bernie has a burn on the inside of his left back leg. This part of his leg is bald, so the burn is just on the skin. I noticed it a few days ago, and it seemed scab-like. Of course I see scabs on him every now and then, and I just watch to make sure they heal up. There have never been any issues with his little scabs.

A few days ago, I noticed that it seemed more reddish, and I decided that it was a strange bruise.

I touched it yesterday, and I finally decided that it is a burn, based on the texture. If you can think of the rough, almost scaly-feeling texture of a burn, that's exactly what this feels like. (It's about the size of a quarter.)

It hasn't gotten bigger or worse, and it hasn't really gone away, either. It's been there for about a week. And it boggles my mind how he would have a burn on his skin, or at least some sort of injury that seems like a burn. I have no clue where he got it or how he would have gotten this.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? Is there something topically that I should put on? Does this justify a vet visit? If he was a black dog, I bet I would never even know that this was there!

PS — He is not licking it or touching it. He doesn't seem to be phased by it.

Edited by Laurenbiz

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Leash burn might be a possibility. If he's fine with it, don't fret.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Is this a new scar? My Toni has several scars from old pressure sores that look like burn scars -shiny and kind of ropey/scaley. My only other thought would be ringworm.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is this a new scar? My Toni has several scars from old pressure sores that look like burn scars -shiny and kind of ropey/scaley. My only other thought would be ringworm.

Yes, this is a new scar/mark. It's been there for maybe a week.

Someone on the GPA-WI forum told me that possibly this was "lick granuloma" — I've never heard of such a thing. I am going to take a picture and add it soon.

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

It looks it's the outline of his skin spots? If that's the case, you might take him in - if it's a melanoma that's been itching and he's been licking it, you want to catch it sooner rather than later.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It looks it's the outline of his skin spots? If that's the case, you might take him in - if it's a melanoma that's been itching and he's been licking it, you want to catch it sooner rather than later.

Melanoma?!? :omg The weird thing is, I have not seen him licking it or scratching it at all. Whatever this burn type of mark is, he doesn't seem to care at all.

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Hot spot, looks like to me. Beth had something similar but smaller in the same location a couple of summers ago. I'd put some antibiotic goo on it, but probably also make a vet appointment because that's pretty big and could become quite serious if it spreads.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad