Trouble With Food & Poop

Been having trouble with Ruby and food for several weeks and have posted about it here a couple times. She used to eat the Salmon version from Costco and then out of the blue, just stopped eating it. I think it might have had to do with that recall. Then I tried the chicken one from the feed store and it was also recalled. So for a while I made dog food for her but that was too much work, so we decided to try the chicken and rice one from Costco. She likes it OK but the farts are unbearable. She has been on that maybe a month now ? Farts are getting much worse. She even stunk up the bedroom last night, and when I woke this morning, seriously thought she must have crapped her kennel. She hadn't thank goodness but I did have to spray and light some Scentsy.

A couple days ago we bought the lamb and rice food from Costco and I was going to slowly give that to her but have decided to just dive right in with it for tonights meal. She also has had runny poo and has started pooping in the lawn for the first time ever. She has always gone along one side of the fence in the bark, 2 years now. I know she doesn't have worms as she has been recently tested and also gets a monthly med. She seems happier than ever and her coat looks great. Any ideas ?

Karen

Guest mbfilby

Grain free solved all our issues. Costco has one now.

Some pups don't tolerate chicken well, others have a hard time with lamb being too rich. Ours are on grain free chicken (nutri-source) and they are doing excellent.

Guest mbfilby

Sorry. Yes, nutri-souce is the brand of food we are feeding, but it's not available at Costco. We get it from our feed store.

Our Costco sells grain free called Nature's Domain Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. I have heard that not all stores are carrying it yet, but they will be soon. We haven't tried it, but people I know who have seem to like it.

Grain free has cleared up the chronic tummy troubles in our girl, and also cleared up one of our boy's ears.

Have you ruled out an intestinal infection? These symptoms sound like what Spencer was doing when he had SIBO.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

if the smell is that bad she might need to get some flagyl to clear up any bacterial overgrowth. That could also be the problem with the soft poop.

A change of food shouldn't cause this but, it could cause some GI issues and that could have led to some "bacterial stuff".

Good luck.

edited to add -- smell that bad is usually caused by a Clostridium bacteria overgrowth (if I remember correctly)

Edited by MaryJane

Hadn't thought about a bacterial overgrowth. If this continues through the weekend she will be headed to the vet as soon as I can get her there.

mbfilby-the salmon one is the one she stopped eating out of the blue. our Costco does have that one but she won't eaat it. She did do well on it so we may look into the Nutrisource you mentioned.

I did give her the lamb and rice tonight but only gave her 1 cup. So far no toots. I know it will take a while though and like I said above, will take her to the vet again if this continues. I don't know anything about SIBO. Not sure what it even stands for but will take her in if she needs it.

I do wonder why the change in where she poops though ?. I am not too thrilled with the lawn pooping.........ugh.

Karen