Gash Where Gum Meets Cheek

Guest driser

Guest driser

Our guy has been scratching his mouth after he eats and drinks. He had his annual check up this past Mon so I mentioned it to the vet. The vet didn't see anything, but thought it might just be irritated from tartar and recommended a dental in next 3-6 months. But this morning he was really scratching it after he drank water so I brought him into kitchen for better light and pull his lips way up and only then, for the first time, saw he has a gash at the top of his gum line where it intersects with his cheek. (approx 1.5" long and 1/4" wide) It's not especially red or puffy, just there. It almost looks like the roof of my mouth when an periodontist took strips of tissue off for a graft elsewhere in my mouth. If that helps anyone picture what I'm trying to describe.

Does he need to go back to vet? Shouldn't a mouth sore heal quickly? He's been "itching" it for weeks (only after food or water) which surely isn't helping.

He's not acting any differently; still eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, playing, and majoring in sleeping.

I've been more diligent to use petzlife on his teeth to help keep it clean, figuring the alcohol will help with germs while it heals.

Should be checked by the vet - it might have been sliced by something and that something might still be lodged in there. He also might need some antibiotics as the alcohol might not be enough to keep an infection from starting. If he's scratching at it after food or water then, stuff is getting up there and it could be he also needs stitches ....

If it's been over two weeks and not getting better I would think a vet trip would be wise. I've never dealt with any mouth injuries yet even though the girls are always chewing on raw bones and stuff...

Although when Sunshine was crying and I was worried there was something wrong with her mouth the vet only gave a glance after prying her open. At home I had my fist in there keeping it open while I wiggled at her teeth and poked at gums. So maybe your better off examing it yourself for foreign things.

------

Jessica

Sam once bit completely through the side of his mouth (during a squabble over saltine crackers). The clue that he did it to himself was that the hole was bigger inside his mouth than on his cheek. Goofball.

His injury cleared up almost immediately, so something hanging on this long would have me at the vet's.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)