Corn Treatment - Hope This One Works

My senior girl, Mariah, will be 11 next month. We got her last July from rescue as a bounce back and she had corns/warts. Rescue had them surgically removed and when we got her last 4th of July weekend her feet were so tender that we had to carry her outside to go potty. Some of them came back and we have counted 6 corns. I found a holistic lady in the U.K. who states she has had 95% successful treatment for corns. Her treatment plan arrived yesterday and we started her on the treatment last night. We rub 2-3 drops of an ointment into her pads three times a day and with the last treatment before bed time we cover her feet with booties. She takes one Chinese herb daily for six days, one Chinese herb once a week and when we are finished with those pills she takes another one once a month for four months. I do not know what the Chinese herb is or what the ointment is. I will keep you all posted with the results. The U.K. lady says she has seen some difference within three weeks. So here is hoping. If anyone wants the email address of the lady I corresponded with please pm me

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Adrianne

Good luck, and I hope it works. Trying to get rid of a corn can be such a frustrating experience. My advice, although you didn't ask for advice, is don't get discouraged and give up if you don't see quick results. Keep at it. It took months and months of daily treatments to get rid of Chevy's corn. But I'm here to say it CAN be done, and it's a fantastic feeling to take my boy for a walk without a Thera-paw boot. He's been corn free for nearly a year now.

Guest arlosmom

I will really be interested to see if this works for you. Most remedies I have investigated so far depend on the diligence of the humans in following the treatment regimen. This regimen seems pretty intensive. Keep us posted. We have tried litterly everthing.

Guest Fergus

We are just starting to treat our guy's corns with a Canadian product called Wart Ade, from Dominion Veterinary Products in Winnipeg (http://www.domvet.com/). We had a recommendation from someone who has had success using it on her own greys. When our vet insisted on hulling our guy's corns, we let her do it, but he was in much more pain afterwards, and they came back so quickly. I wish I had not agreed to it. He was doing better with me just filing them down to be level with the pads, and then softening them with Burt's Bees Hand Salve. I have high hopes for the Wart Ade, though. It contains 10% Thuja (cedar) oil in a base of some other more neutral oil. We are applying it twice daily. We are hoping for walks without the Therapaw boots someday too!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LindsaySF
When our vet insisted on hulling our guy's corns, we let her do it, but he was in much more pain afterwards, and they came back so quickly. I wish I had not agreed to it. He was doing better with me just filing them down to be level with the pads, and then softening them with Burt's Bees Hand Salve.

I have 2 dogs with corns. I have found that they are sensitive right after hulling, then maybe the next day, but then they are fine, especially once the pad tissue fills in the 'hole'. The hard corn is like walking around with a pebble in your shoe. If you hull it, you remove the pebble. If you file it down, it's like walking around with a flat pebble. If you don't do anything, it probably feels like a giant rock. I have also found that when I hull regularly (monthly at least), that while the corns still grow back, they are usually smaller each time.

Guest rosedog46

Hello Everyone, I am new to this site

I have a 10 year old greyhouse with corns (5 corns in all). For the last couple of year we have been using the Therapaws only for our morning and evening walks

Recently I found Murray Ave callus and corn cream. I have been using it for almost 2 month with very mixed results (we still have all the corns). I am very curious about the duct tape. Can someone tell me why duct tape and what it is suppose to do??

Will to do what ever it takes

Thanks

Mark and Rosie the greyhound

Mark and Rosie, welcome. I am sure that someone will be able to answer your question about the duct tape. We have not tried the duct tape yet. Please keep us posted on the Murray Avenue treatment. If the treatment plan I am using now does not work my next step was the Murray Avenue treatment. My Mariah also uses the therapaws for her walks too. Thank DOG we have them otherwise she would not be going for walks.

How are things progressing, brandimom?

I just noticed you are in Reno???? That is where we are. Did you get your greyhound from Nevada Greyhounds Unlimited? Do you mind telling me your real name as I am a placement rep with this group and perhaps I placed your greyhound with you.

Mark and Rosie, welcome. I am sure that someone will be able to answer your question about the duct tape. We have not tried the duct tape yet. Please keep us posted on the Murray Avenue treatment. If the treatment plan I am using now does not work my next step was the Murray Avenue treatment. My Mariah also uses the therapaws for her walks too. Thank DOG we have them otherwise she would not be going for walks.

I just noticed you are in Reno???? That is where we are. Did you get your greyhound from Nevada Greyhounds Unlimited? Do you mind telling me your real name as I am a placement rep with this group and perhaps I placed your greyhound with you.

Do you have Poncho? I am Sharon Haugen with Isabelle and Mariah.

Guest rosedog46

Right now the treatments are textbook to what I have been reading on the web. The outer skin of the paw is stating to flake off. Unfortunately it stops just as it gets to the corn. The corn cream has defiantly brought relief to Rosie. A couple of days ago I took her on a quick walk and forgot to put on her shoes (all four). We made it all the way down the block before I realized what I had done. Rosie was fine and we kept walking for another block. This could have never happened before the cream treatment. We still use the shoes on walks but it was an encouraging sign. The corns come and go but we are sticking with it.

One thing that really softens up her corns is when we go to the river for our walks. I leave her Therapaws on and let her wade around in the water. We continue our walk of another 15-30 mins with wet Therapaws. When I get her home and I take off the shoes, her feet and corns are super soft. Usually that’s a good time to try and loosen the corn or address any issues.

Thanks

Right now the treatments are textbook to what I have been reading on the web. The outer skin of the paw is stating to flake off. Unfortunately it stops just as it gets to the corn. The corn cream has defiantly brought relief to Rosie. A couple of days ago I took her on a quick walk and forgot to put on her shoes (all four). We made it all the way down the block before I realized what I had done. Rosie was fine and we kept walking for another block. This could have never happened before the cream treatment. We still use the shoes on walks but it was an encouraging sign. The corns come and go but we are sticking with it.

One thing that really softens up her corns is when we go to the river for our walks. I leave her Therapaws on and let her wade around in the water. We continue our walk of another 15-30 mins with wet Therapaws. When I get her home and I take off the shoes, her feet and corns are super soft. Usually that’s a good time to try and loosen the corn or address any issues.

Thanks

Certainly wishing the best for Rosie. That is greyt news that she was able to work with out the therapaws.

Now i know who you are. Love your website and thanks for including NGU. Nice to have someone in our group join!

Guest dpIAN
Now i know who you are. Love your website and thanks for including NGU. Nice to have someone in our group join!

Yes, I am trying to get more active in advocacy/promotion within the grey community. I referred people to this thread from a blog entry about corns the other day, hoping that it might foster more ideas/solutions. It's either that or I'm procrastinating studying for another licensing exam. ;-)

Hi all,

The immediate question: Our grey just had his first (that we know of) corn removed today- hulled by the vet. He's now three-legged, refusing to put any weight on that foot. Does anyone know of any "at home" pain remedies for post-hulling? Our vet didn't give us any pain meds (I wasn't sure that we'd need them but apparently should have asked!)

Some secondary corn musings:

From what I gather from doing research, some think that corns are caused by a virus in greys, similar to viruses that cause warts in humans. This is why some suggest treatment with abreva, aldara, etc.- these are treatments designed to stimulate an immune response to an active virus (a person should apply abreva when they feel a cold sore coming and it should stimulate an immuno response to surpress what is, ultimately, a viral symptom- a cold sore being a form of the herpes virus). If corns are, indeed, viral then I expect there is no cure for them other than a strong immune system, similar to the case in humans. Once caught, viruses usually present symptoms which eventually go away as the human's immune system deals with it. Though the symptoms may disappear, the virus itself remain in the patient's body for life. Symptoms recur when the person's immune system is weakened and can no longer suppress the virus effectively. Thus, a virus can lay dormant for months or years only to recur at a seemingly random point when a person's immune system lapses enough for the virus to present itself. Or, the immune system can suppress it completely and there will be no further signs. Ultimately, recurrence depends upon the infected individual's immune system strength and ability to deal with the viral strain.

If corns are, in fact, caused by a virus that operates in a similar manner, a dog's immune system may be able to suppress the virus. However, the virus/corns can lay dormant for months, years even, and then return seemingly out of the blue. Though, no veterinarian, I know a lot about chronic viral symptoms in people and am wondering if it would function similarly in greys. This would explain the lack of a cure-all and very mixed results from prevention treatments as it ultimately depends on the individual dog's immune system whether or not corns occur. Just some thoughts...curious if anyone else has heard a similar take on corns.