Toothless Greyhound

Or Ambi does not have many teeth and he eats smaller sized kibbles (nutro's grain free venison and potato) just moistened with some water so they slide down. Even with teeth he gulped down his food so this works for him.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest barkdogs

Here's some I use. . .

Preheat oven to 425.

Beef recipe:

5 Lbs ground beef (or lamb/sheep/goat/venison. . . )

8 oz chicken livers

8--10 egg

1.5 teaspoon salt

7 lbs potatoes (sweet and regular, mixed)

3 cups rice (uncooked)

2 bananas

1 Lb carrots

1 zucchini

handful fresh herbs--mint, dill, basil, rosemary, sage, basil (I use a mix from the garden--not too much or it will make the food bitter)

1 cup frozen blueberries

1 cup chopped greens (lettuce, kale, spinach) or celery

Calcium supplement, 1 teaspoon per LB of dog food. Read the label--these vary a bit. Or, give a few cut up raw chicken necks with each meal--My old girl Lucia has 8 teeth, no molars and she does well with these. I am never sure about the efficacy of the supplements so where ever possible, I try to get it all in them with food.

Cook potatoes, mash, set aside. I cook them in a small amount of water and I don't drain them so as to retain nutrients.

Cook rice, set aside.

Put several eggs in a blender, shells included, and also the chicken livers. Add in remaining veggies/fruit. It will take a few blenders full, so divi up eggs to provide enough liquid to blend each batch of fruits/veggies. Blend until egg shells are finely broken. If you are using an additional calcium supplement, now's a good time to add it.

Add egg/livers/veggies/fruit mix to the potatoes. Add rice. Mix in ground beef. Basically you have the makings of a giant canine meatloaf.

poor into a large roasting pan. You probably have enough mix for 2 meatloafs.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, let cool, feed some and freeze the rest in single serving portions. If you feed everything raw then just forgo the baking part.

Yummy chicken dish--my dogs LOVE this! You will need a pressure cooker.

You will need:

One whole chicken

4-6 oz chicken livers

5 LBs Mixed potatoes, sweet and white

6--8 eggs

1 teaspoon salt

similar veggies as in meatloaf recipe. You should no need the calcium supplement as you are using the whole chicken, bones and all.

Cook one whole chicken (in the neighborhood of 4 LBS) in the pressure cooker, including any and all giblets. I put the chicken in and then fill the cooker about 1/2 full with water. add the salt. When it reaches the pressurized point, cook it on medium-high heat, fully pressurized, for one hour. Turn off the heat and let it depressurize on its own (usually takes about 20-30 minutes)

Prepare mashed potatoes, rice and veggie/livers/egg/fruit glop as in previous recipe.

When chicken is depressurized, remove lid. With a large spoon (I use a potato masher) mix up and deconstruct the chicken. The bones should break fairly easily , and they will snap in half as opposed to splintering. Break up the bones well so your toothless hound can eat them. ;-) Don't worry, they are totally digestible when cooked this way, unlike bones cooked by conventional methods.

Mix together mashed potatoes, rice and egg/veg mixture. Add the chicken and broth, mix well. As soon as it cools, feed some to your hound, and freeze the rest!

Some explanations: I grind the egg shells for calcium--important especially in the beef recipe, as beef has a higher phosphorus content.

My dogs do well with this, and they like it. This way I know what they are getting, too!

If you want to cook then go at it. Otherwise, my girl who had 24 teeth pulled just before I got her does just fine on regular kibble with a little water to moisten it. She also has no trouble with medium Milk Bones, but the large are too much for her.

I have one hound with only two teeth left, a previous hound had only 6 and next week I expect to have another completely toothless from kennels. All managed easily on moistened kibble mixed with a bit of canned meat/sardines etc, once their gums had hardened up a little. They also manage treats and chewsticks broken into kibble-sized bits so I really don't do any special feeding for toothless dogs at all.

Sue from England