Yelps With Diarrhea

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

So, this started about 12 hours ago. I tried giving him immodium this morning. He threw it up. Does immodium ever work for anyone else? Any other advice for helping him get through this painful diarrhea? He seems fine otherwise.

First thing, stop feeding him anything until the diarrhea is over -- my vet wants me to wait for 24 hours after the last incidence of D.

Second, is he on Flagyl/metronidazole? If not, he should be. You need to get that from the vet.

If he is having continuing diarrhea he REALLY needs to be seen by a vet. He needs either to be drinking or he may need some sub-Q fluids. If he is having nausea a Cerenia injection or pills can help.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest BlueCrab

Never tried Immodium; we always use slippery elm bark with Leyland (our non-grey). Trixie has - knock wood - never had tummy problems.

Do you know what's causing all the upset - both throwing up as well as the diarrhea - as well as why it's painful? That's the first thing to try to determine before choosing the course of action. If there's a lot of fluid loss, I'd be as concerned about dehydration and possibly needing a vet visit to get a handle on the situation.

Guest TahoeMom

He had some food this morning. I'll take his food away when i get home from work, and we'll reassess tomorrow morning. I'll keep a watchful eye on dehydration. Thanks for the good advice.

Get him into the vet as soon as possible. No way is yelping when going to the bathroom a normal condition - I would guess that there is"pain". The fact that he vomited earlier is also troubling as there could be a partial blockage.

Keep on feeding him. maybe smaller amounts - the vet will need to know whether he is eating or not. Feed hamburger and rice instead of kibble because the kibble can be hard on his GI tract. If you don't feed, the dog can start vomiting bile from not having anything in their stomach and that can create a whole set of other problems.

Yelping with the big D is nothing to rush to the e-vet over. If you have a drama queen you will have yelping with Big D. I've been there. I think your plan sounds reasonable and responsible. My favorite thing is to give metamucil wafers to replace dinner and see what you get in the morning to determine the course of action.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)