Need Advice On Potty Training

Guest ztirpak

Guest ztirpak

Hey all you greyhound experts!

My 5-year old Case has been with me for about three months and he has gradually developed some bad behavior. About a month ago I came home and saw a pile of number 2 on the floor. I scolded him verbally (but did not berate him repeatedly) and cleaned it up. The next week I was coming home to the same pile every day, scolding him every time. I then realized that I need to let him go number 2 twice in the morning to get him all "emptied out" for lack of a better term. The accidents stopped for about the next two-three weeks.

Last week Case started peeing in the house. He would even go while I am in the house with him without any alert that he needed to go outside. I scold him like always and allow him extra time outside in the morning to fully relieve himself. Even still, he is continuing to pee in the house when I am gone at work and when I am at home. With these new accidents have come a resurgence of number 2 accidents. I try to correct him and allow him extra time to relieve himself, but routine doesn't seem to help. I'm worried that he thinks his behavior is okay and that I'm not doing enough to correct him. I don't know if he needs a diet change or if he's feeling ill (I don't see any other signs of illness) or what the case may be!

Help!

How often is he taken outside? Could be he needs to go out more often.

Wouldn't hurt to get a fecal and urinalysis done, to make sure there isn't a physical problem.

Doesn't help to scold unless you catch them in the act. In that case you want to do something like "Aaaah!" to interrupt and immediately cheerful firm "Let's go out!" and whisk him on outside to finish.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Are you going outside with him to make sure that he "pees" and "poops"? I will always go out with my dogs and I have "keywords" that I keep on repeating until they have done what they are supposed to and then I praise them like crazy.

Also, most greyhounds are used to being let out on a scehdule and may not give you any indication that they need to go out. The best thing to do is just to have a routine and stick to it.

It sounds like most of the accidents are happening when you don't see them. If you don't catch him in the act (or better, just before he starts) to redirect him, it will take a really long time (if ever) to completely train him. It sounds like he just doesn't understand potty training so he needs to go back to "puppy rules." I wouldn't leave him unsupervised in the house without me being there, and I would also crate him when you're at work. It seems like a lot of work, but once he gets it, you can try gradually letting him have more independence. I don't know how many hours you are away each day, but he may also just not be used to holding it for so long. If possible, if you can take him for a walk before work he can "fully" clean out his system and and to settle him before you go. It sounds like he was crate trained from the track when you got him, but because he has gone so many times in the house he is starting to think it is acceptable place to go. Scolding him after he goes will not help at all, their brains only really connect if you can catch him while he is going and bring him outside. As the others said, greys may not always let you know when they need to go. Good luck!

Edited by RedHead

I would try a different tactic. Reward the positive behavior instead of scolding the negative. Contrary to popular belief, scolding a dog when he goes inside the house only creates fear and teaches the dog to go when and where you're not looking. When you take him outside, slip a treat in his mouth immediately after he finishes going. It's gotta be right then- if you give the treat when he returns, he'll associate the treat with coming inside. My 9-month-old greyhound is very motivated by affection and praise. If your boy is the same way, throw him a mini party everytime he goes where you want him to. Make it a really big deal. Pet him, tell him he's a good boy. And also, make sure you completely saturate the area in the house with an enzyme-based cleaner like Nature's Miracle. No amount of training can stop dogs from returning to a spot that smells familiar. Good luck to you, and try to stay optimistic. Housetraining is really frustrating.

I would try a different tactic. Reward the positive behavior instead of scolding the negative. Contrary to popular belief, scolding a dog when he goes inside the house only creates fear and teaches the dog to go when and where you're not looking. When you take him outside, slip a treat in his mouth immediately after he finishes going. It's gotta be right then- if you give the treat when he returns, he'll associate the treat with coming inside. My 9-month-old greyhound is very motivated by affection and praise. If your boy is the same way, throw him a mini party everytime he goes where you want him to. Make it a really big deal. Pet him, tell him he's a good boy. And also, make sure you completely saturate the area in the house with an enzyme-based cleaner like Nature's Miracle. No amount of training can stop dogs from returning to a spot that smells familiar. Good luck to you, and try to stay optimistic. Housetraining is really frustrating.

Excellent tips above!

Just to add (for what it's worth): It's my understanding that Nature's Miracle was sold some time ago, and the formulation changed. The "original" Nature's Miracle formulation is sold under the name "Petastic".