Father Al Dash -Updated Post 27 Invitation

macoduck

That's quite alright. I'll be sending out a newsletter to our Wilmington area greyhound owners with the services for Father Al included and I'll let them know the diocese's protocol. I have a feeling that Father Al is already surrounded by greyhounds where he is now.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If any GT members are also on the GO-CNC yahoo group, please let them know that the Church has requested that our dogs not attend.

We all know how special greyhounds were to Father Al. The Church was his other life away from us and we must respect their wishes.

GTer Djsgreys has created a beautiful photo of Father Al surrounded by greyhounds. I plan to take it with me to Sunday's visitation for his family and Church family. I'll be sure to add a note on the back letting them know how much the greyhound community loved Father Al.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We've been invited to an informal gathering on Monday afternoon and our greyhounds are invited!

Location: Newman Catholic Student Center at 4802 College Acres Drive in Wilmington NC

Time: 4:30pm

Thank you Sister Rose. :grouphug

Here's the portrait created by dsjgreys.... I'd like to think this is what happened when Father Al crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

fatherallowresolution.jpg

tiny hada siggy.png

We've been invited to an informal gathering on Monday afternoon and our greyhounds are invited!

Location: Newman Catholic Student Center at 4802 College Acres Drive in Wilmington NC

Time: 4:30pm

Thank you Sister Rose. :grouphug

Here's the portrait created by dsjgreys.... I'd like to think this is what happened when Father Al crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

fatherallowresolution.jpg

That is just beautiful. What a tribute!

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest greygirls2

Oh, what a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. Very nicely done. I am sure this was his greeting when he passed through the gates to the Bridge. May he rest in peace with all the greys around him.

Guest FormerLadyLaw

Friday, 5/18/12

We met Fr. Dash, Joan Newton & Scotti Devens at a "Save The Greyhound Dogs!"

gathering in Vermont somewhere circa 1998. At the time, I was still employed by

the Kalamazoo Sheriff's Department, but had put in for vacation and actually made

it to Vermont & back to Michigan without getting "too lost." My new friends, whom

I'd only spoken to on the phone were real troopers and worked in the trenches as a

lot of us did, on behalf of the greyhounds. I was doing battle with the Michigan

Legislature to prohibit dog racing in Michigan. On the third try, I ran out of money,

and turned it over to someone else. They did not have any more luck than I did.

The "we" part included Princess, Curly Joe & the first Missy.

Fr. Dash was instantly drawn to goofy Curly Joe, which on several occasions, I

just turned the leash over to him and away they went. I'll never forget when at

the gathering the next day, all the dogs were encouraged to do "the group roo."

It was hysterical as all three of mine stood stock still...not making a sound!! Oh

did we get a few comical glances our way out of that!!

On my first or second trip to Dewey, I took my big beautiful black & white boy,

Jack along. He was resigned to sleeping the day away in the van, but he was a

happy boy to do so. Fr. Dash came by after the Blessing of the Hounds, of which

I had no idea what that was or where. I asked him if he would mind blessing my

beloved Jack. Without hesitation, we walked to the van, he put his hands on

each side of Jack's face and Blessed him. It was a moment in time where time

stood still. Of course I was ready to fall apart with the beauty of the words and

the meaning and the man behind them.

Fr. Dash and I always exchanged Christmas photos/cards from that time in

Vermont up to and including last year, whereupon he told me of the loss of his

two greys within weeks of each other. I sent him a memorial pin to wear, but

did not hear from him afterwards, except in the card he mentioned that dialysis

was not going well.

As a believer, I know where he, Joan and all the hounds are, mine and theirs,

which is the most beautiful place we can all Hope to be when we are called

Home also. My sincere grief is tempered by that Hope as I can imagine what a

Homecoming that would have been.

With sincerity and thankfulness I was given the supreme blessing to have

known Fr. Dash, Joan and all the rest.......

Judy Jones, Kalamazoo, MI

With: McDu, Velvet, Sophia, Jack II & Traveller

In Heaven: Princess, Curly Joe, Missy, Jack & Lady

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good

conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

ReplyReply All Move...

That's a lovely tribute, Judy. Thank you for sharing that story.

tiny hada siggy.png

A small group of us greyhounds owners were finally able to gather together after the official Church services and burial were completed. We met at the Catholic community house on campus at UNCW and visited with the students who adored Father Al. It really was lovely to sit around, relaxed and telling stories about Father Al.

Deb (dsjgreys) - I presented 2 framed copies of your photoshopped picture, one for Father Al's family and one to be kept there at the campus community house where he'd spent so much time. EVERYBODY who saw said the exact same thing: I bet that's what's going on up in Heaven right now.

Unfortunately, the Diocese would not allow Father Al's (cremated) dogs to be buried with him. Let's just say :whisper that the Lord works in mysterious ways ;) Father Al had his greyhound companions tucked under him forevermore. Here's to you, Sister Rose :cheers You were a true friend.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest AmberGusDad

Unfortunately, the Diocese would not allow Father Al's (cremated) dogs to be buried with him. Let's just say :whisper that the Lord works in mysterious ways ;)Father Al had his greyhound companions tucked under him forevermore. Here's to you, Sister Rose :cheers You were a true friend.

I'm quite certain that greyhound owners would never go against diocesan wishes :P . Father Al would be shocked.

Thank you, Sister Rose.....