Worried About Toby

Guest twoskinnydogs

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am so sorry you and Toby have to go thru this... Reading your posts brought back the tears; Chelsa did not have cancer (that we know of) but was fighting a chronic ehrlichia that had gone undetected for years, probably since her racing days in TX 7 years ago. It hit her hard and fast; the Doxy seemed to fight it back at first but she was left with awful immune dysfunctions;

horrible IMPA and also severe anemia. I don't think, in retrospect, that my poor girl ever really had a chance. She fought bravely but when she lost the use of her front leg (probably a thrown clot), and with all her joints so swollen, it was too much. She couldn't walk; and she let her Daddy know right then and there that she was done. We took her in to the vet (and I was still in denial, believing that we were going to be able to fix her) but watching her reaction to the vets and the calm, peaceful, almost resigned behavior; she told the vets, too... She was ready. I was not. I have grieved all my hounds very deeply; but when you are fighting together and giving everything you have to keep them going long enough to hopefully get well; and in the end it was to no avail; that is hard. It's been about three weeks since she passed and I still wake up thinking she needs me, I still have panicked moments where I just know that I let go too soon; maybe we missed something, maybe we should have tried this, or that... And of course I know in my heart that we did the best we could but that voice of doubt is a cruel hanger-on. :(

I am sorry to hi-jack; I just want you to know you aren't alone; and I am praying for strength, comfort, and peace for both of you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry Jason that Toby is not doing well. It is a very difficult time when you have to make a decision that you know will hurt so bad but is best for your pup. I truly hope Toby is able to bounce back. Please give him a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.