What Do We Make Of This? Scar?

Guest DiforDan

Guest DiforDan

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/dsc00

New to uploading pictures so excuse me if this hasn't worked! I wonder what to make of this strange hair pattern and dark mark on my new adopted greyhound's tummy? Any ideas? (hope the pic works!)http://forum.greytalk.com/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/dsc00

New to uploading pictures so excuse me if this hasn't worked! I wonder what to make of this strange hair pattern and dark mark on my new adopted greyhound's tummy? Any ideas? (hope the pic works!)http://forum.greytalk.com/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

Oh dear, it didn't work did it? Sorry!

Persevering...

dsc00207ja.th.jpg

Looks like blackheads to me. You can soak them with a warm wash cloth and lightly scrub them to see if they go away.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest DiforDan

What does it feel like? Is it firm, or squishy? Does it have a bumpy, wartlike surface? Nosy Greytalkers wanna know!

It feels just smooth. There is a dark mark in the middle and the fur is all strange around it.

Looks like blackheads to me. You can soak them with a warm wash cloth and lightly scrub them to see if they go away.

Don't think so - had a Great Dane who got them, I had loads of fun squeezing them for him! Doesn't seem like that. It's more of a dark, smooth area.

Guest DiforDan

Go ahead, try sqeezing one...looks like a black head to me, trust me, I've made the exact same post when I was new to greyhounds :blush

pixietum.jpg

Hope the above pic is bigger, clearer, and acceptable. It's not blackheads although there are some black specs on the pic, which was taken about a week ago when she needed a bit of a clean-up! it's that round, dark area in the middle I am talking about.

It feels just smooth. There is a dark mark in the middle and the fur is all strange around it.

I wonder if it could be ringworm? It can present in various ways, but one is a bare circle with the fur around being 'different' - broken, dry, harsh, being some of the variations.

Might be worth trying a blacklight if you have one, to see if it glows? I dont' know what power these things are where you live, but make sure to keep everyone's eyes safe (including your hound's) while you check it out.

On the other hand, if a dog has a part of their body they constantly rub on something (the corner of a bed, a paving slab, whatever) they may wear a bald place and the fur around that bald place will be broken, too.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DiforDan

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Took her to the vet today and she reckons it is scarring from old skin trouble of some sort. Couldn't be more specific but it is something which is no longer troubling the dog.

She does seem to have sensitive skin and is going on Fuciderm ointment for some more current skin outbreaks elsewhere on her body.

I am relieved that nobody thought (as I sort of did) that it might be scarring from abuse like burns or anthing like that.