Kai..again. What Would You Do Next?

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

A couple of weeks ago, Kai started to refuse to eat a meal here and there followed by a day where he vomited three times. The last two times being mostly foamy bile. That was followed by a stool the same afternoon of mostly blood. Took him to the vet and got the Cerenia shot for vomiting, Prostora Max and Pro Pectalin Gel. That plus a bland diet of chicken breasts and pasta for 10 days seemed to do the trick.

Here's what we ran testwise on the first go around: Fecal Float/Cytology - nothing. Superchem CBC T4 - nothing. 2 view xrays of abdomen - nothing. Vet chalked up illness as a case of colitis.

This past Friday, the Doody Calls man came to the house and told Tommy that he saw some poop with blood in it. He had already bagged it so could not see how much blood. I've looked at the poop since then and do not see any sign of blood in any stools. If he does not eat when I feed the other dogs, he will eat later on. Yesterday, he vomited a little foamy bile again.

He has not been wormed since we adopted him so I was thinking of doing a round of Panacur. Also, thought I would put him on a good probiotic. We use Interceptor and no flea/tick preventives as we have been soooo lucky not to have these as problems.

Looking for suggestions and advice on what would you do now? Thanks so much!

Blood in stool usually indicates colitis (was the stool formed?). I would definetly de-worm with a couple of days of Panacur. Your vet may also want to put your hound on a course of metronidazole and recommend you maintain a bland diet (I/d).

And your Doody Calls man is a keeper. I can't imagine that inspecting dog poop is in their job description... :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Any word online about suspected problems with your pup's food? Food ingredient problems have started to pop up again.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest freightsmom

And your Doody Calls man is a keeper. I can't imagine that inspecting dog poop is in their job description... :)

He is wonderful and he adores the hounds. I love supporting locally owned businesses!

Any word online about suspected problems with your pup's food? Food ingredient problems have started to pop up again.

nope, just checked the food recall sites and nothing out there about Natural Balance foods.

Guest dobiegrey

Hi, I saw something online a little while ago this month about Natural Balance so I went searching and found it:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/natural_balance.html

I know that my Jack was on Natural Balance and suddenly developed problems and got pancreatitis, I never thought of the dog food, but because of the pancreatitis we had to switch, and he has had no more symptoms since. He also developed diabetes because of the pancreatitis now don't get me wrong I am not saying this was caused by the food, but you just never know and it might be worth changing for a trial period to see if he gets better or atleast change the protein source. Just a thought

Guest freightsmom

Hi, I saw something online a little while ago this month about Natural Balance so I went searching and found it:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/natural_balance.html

I know that my Jack was on Natural Balance and suddenly developed problems and got pancreatitis, I never thought of the dog food, but because of the pancreatitis we had to switch, and he has had no more symptoms since. He also developed diabetes because of the pancreatitis now don't get me wrong I am not saying this was caused by the food, but you just never know and it might be worth changing for a trial period to see if he gets better or atleast change the protein source. Just a thought

Thanks for the info! I read some of the posts and there were enough common symptons to make me concerned enough to switch foods. We have been feeding NB for over 4 yrs with no problems but since nothing showed up in any of the medical tests, it does make you think about food being the cause.