Thyroid Cancer

Guest GreyChick

Guest GreyChick

Although this post is very late I thought better late than never.

A little over a week ago I posted about my dog Bow. She was diagnosed via cytology with thyroid carcinoma and we were headed down to OSU for surgery. A week ago she had her surgery to remove the tumor.

We are both home now and she is recovering nicely from the surgery with no complications. And she has been enjoying very much the wet dog food we have been hiding her pills in :)

The histopath came back this week it was thyrocarcinoma and as the surgeon thought it has invaded the surrounding tissue/vessels. Also before surgery they saw a small spot on her lungs which they believe is cancer. BOO!!! But Dr. Urie felt fairly confident that with removing the tumor and follow up treatments (chemo) we could slow down or even (maybe) stop the progression of the cancer.

I have a follow up appt with Onco soon to find out what our next step is.

I wanted to say thank you so much for all the support from all the wonderful people on GreyTalk it truly made me feel so much better!! I want to give a special thanks to Tracy who helped me through email the entire week of Bow's surgery. Without you I would have been so unprepared for what lay ahead thank you so much (and yes I still owe you a picture of Bow 8) )

To end I just wanted to throw this out there...I know Hope for Hounds exists and they are raising lots of money for Greyhound Cancer Research and doing awesome things. I was also toying with the idea of starting a foundation or project of sorts (because we can always use more support to fund research right?) for greyhound cancer info/research funding (and possibly retired racer awareness funding) or more broadly canine cancer info research funding. I know a lot of organizations exits but I though another can't hurt right and I feel very passionate about it. Anywho let me know what you all think?

Again thanks thank thanks thanks I felt so much support when I needed it most. :grouphug

Yay for Bow! yay.gif Yay for Tracy!yay.gif Yay for OSU! yay.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Yea- thanks for the update- anxious to see which chemo protocol they start your girl on. Waiting for that picture!!

Edited to add- never, ever hurts to try to start a fund raiser

I'm all ears !!!

Edited by tbhounds