Toe Growth Possibly Cancer

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

Freight had a growth on a toe that was on the inside part of the toe and the webbing. It was reddish in color. Had his regular vet check it twice since January as I was concerned, she was not sure what is was but did not want to aspirate it since he was seeing his dermatologist in early March.

Went to the dermatologist last Tuesday and I could tell from the look on her face, she was concerned.

Short story....she aspirated it, had the oncologist look at the cells on the slide while we waited and both think it is malignant. So, xrays and ultrasounds were done to see if any other growths or tumors would show up, which thankfully they did not. Surgery was done Thursday removing the toe. Freight has no pain threshold whatsoever so I thought this would be horrible for him but much to my surprise, he is doing great so far. Results should be back by midweek; I almost don't want to know what kind it may be. He has dermal hemangiosarcoma and we are so diligent about that. I'm having a case of the would of, could of, should of as this point....

Part of me hopes they were wrong in their assessment and he just lost a toe to prove it. :(

Try not to worry too much. If you'd left it and it was cancerous you'd never have forgiven yourself.

If it is cancerous, well, my first greyhound had a basal cell carcinoma on a toe when he was about three or four. It was well defined and I asked that the vet spare the toe if at all possible, which he did, but he was nervous about not taking the toe off and checked his whole leg each time we went for the next two years. It never came back or spread anywhere else, and Jim lived to be 13 1/2 years old. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

We had a similar issue with our Jack. His toe was removed and the biopsy came back negative so all is well except for his funny looking foot.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.