Can I Assume He's Cat Safe?

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo came to us not being cat tested so we weren't sure of his ability to live with cats. Which was fine with us, we don't have cats and don't plan on having cats. That being said my mom has offered to dog sit for us while we go out of town for a couple of days, but she has 2 cats. My mom watches my girls for me 2 days a week in our home so Enzo knows her and she knows him so it would be great if he could stay with her while we are gone.

We took him to her house yesterday, muzzled, and introduced him to her cats. One cat didn't come downstairs until right before we left and she stalked around looking at him but I don't think he ever saw her. The other approached him right away, arched his back, hissed/spat and swiped at him (no front claws) which sent him tucked tail and running the other way. We let him outside to make sure he could handle her deck steps down into her yard and when he came back in the cat was sitting on a kitchen chair and hissed at him and he ran back out the door. The rest of the time we were there if he saw the cat he gave it a wide berth but he did settle down and pass out on the floor after lots of nervous panting earlier and the cats didn't torment him or approach him. We took the muzzle off after about 20 minutes or so and he was fine, no chasing or even approaching of the cats.

So I am guessing they should be ok together? I have heard that how they act indoors can be completely different then when faced with a cat outside and have told my mom that (although he isn't really reactive to cats or dogs we see on walks). We don't crate him now and aren't planning on it when he is at my moms, I am planning on leaving a muzzle with her. Should she muzzle him if she leaves do you think? Anything else we should be aware of or concerned about? I want to make sure everyone is safe.

Guest mariah

I think muzzling would be a very good idea. If that was his first time at your mom's house, he might have been a little bit stressed out. Gussie basically ignored our cat the first time they met, but as she got more comfortable in our house, she became more interested in the cat. Previous dog never cared about the cat, but we kept him muzzled for the first month or so while we were out just to be safe. Definitely better to err on the side of caution, and I'm sure it will be better for your peace of mind while you're out of town, too. ;)

Guest Eyeblaura

That was his first time at my mom and dad's house, so he was definitely a bit anxious overall and spent some time smelling and exploring. Good point in that as he gets more comfortable and relaxed they might perk his interest a bit more.

Guest BrianRke

I would say he pretty much passed the cat test with flying colors. I have a grey that is NOT cat safe and has a very high prey drive. When she sees a cat, she gets "tunnel vision". There is nothing that can divert her attention away. On walks I have to keep her on a short leash because she will dart after a cat in a heart beat.

Even though your pup is probably cat safe, I would still muzzle him while he was at your parents house if he has access to the cat. Better safe than sorry. Its not gonna hurt for him to wear the muzzle and it may save everyone a lot of heartache.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I would not leave your hound in someone else's home when they have cats and your hound does not live with cats. It is a recipe for disaster, regardless of how first meetings went. Your parents have a differnt level of comfort when it comes to their cats, as well as they are not experienced with a greyhound and its ability to turn on prey drive in an instant. If you are going to leave your hound with them, I would simply tell them that for the time your hound is in the house, their cats need to be behind closed doors for everyone's safety.

I wouldnt allow my hounds to stay in someone's house that has no greyhound experience and cats, and they have lived with cats for years. New house, new smells, new cats, new everything, unpredictable. Of course nothing would probably happen, but its just something that everyone involved needs to have experience dealing with.

Chad

Guest Eyeblaura

Well my options are to have my mom watch him or board him in a kennel. We don't leave for another 3 weeks so we are going to try some more visits and if all goes well she is going to take him. If there are any issues she will stay at my house with him.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Well my options are to have my mom watch him or board him in a kennel. We don't leave for another 3 weeks so we are going to try some more visits and if all goes well she is going to take him. If there are any issues she will stay at my house with him.

Guest starbuck

Muzzle or make sure that the cats are put away in a separate room; why would you want to take any chances? Even though Starbuck was listed as cat-safe, we still have to keep an eye on her when she's around our two cats. We also make sure that the cats are put away when we leave. Why? Starbuck's version of play time, even if it doesn't include treating the cats as stuffies, is far too rough for them. You also don't have any guarantee that the cats won't lash out if they're nervous or stressed.

That all being said, best of luck--I'd obviously rather have my dog with someone I know and trust than at a kennel, regardless of how cool that kennel seems. It's just more personal.

Edited by starbuck

I think it sounds like you have a reasonable plan between doing a few more trial runs, keeping the cats closed away if your parents aren't home, and muzzling when they are. I would add that it would be a good idea to baby gate off a space the cats can escape to that has their food, water, and litter. Just install the gate about a foot off of the floor so the cats can go underneath it. This doesn't replace muzzling/leashing and keeping them separate when alone, but it's an extra precaution if something does happen to peak your dog's interest.

I would also start doing some training with treats on your visits. Lots of yummy treats when the cats are around and being ignored.

Might also help to leave your parents with some instructions for what to do if he does start showing more interest as he gets comfortable (can he be crated some of the time, etc.). It sounds like he'll be fine, but you never know.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."