A Little Help Integrating?

Guest firegypsy

Guest firegypsy

Freya, our newest hound and Paladin seem a perfect match. We were really lucky to be able to talk to the trainer and have her find someone who had the same temperment to join him. She's a doll, we love her, they get along, all is well. BUT she was just spayed last Monday and is meant to rest for 14 days. I'm assuming she's tender (I know I would be!) and is generally just taking it slow. I fully support this! Paladin, however is SO THRILLED to have someone who is not biting him and bullying him that he wants to play. He follows her around the yard, happily barking and bouncing. She just keeps her head down and continues walking. She's new here, still trying to figure things out, and is less than two weeks out of major surgery!

Now, I'm not worried about anything. Paladin is not aggressive, he just really wants to play. I'm just wondering if there's a great way to foster this relationship and help her to feel more comfortable and him to feel like he can relax a bit and give her some time.

Again, there's no problems here, I just want to help everyone be as happy as possible. IN the past when I've introduced new greys it wasn't so soon after a spay, and never to a dog that had previously been attacked and seriously hurt by another. I just want to make sure we're doing everything right!

Thanks for any feedback.

Guest firegypsy

I can do that-should I push it past the 14 day mark? That is today (wow, time flies!) and give her a solid month? I still have them muzzled outside, and often leashed...but not always.

Teague does this to Karma. He is never aggressive but thinks he can run over her like she is a greyhound, not a dog half his size! They get along great, but don't play, and Karma has mastered the art of assuring that she doesn't get run over. She will avoid eye contact, keep her head low, and ignore him.

I would just leave things be, as you can't force dogs to play with each other, they will do it on their own when they feel comfortable. If he gets too overbearing or nippy she will probably give him a warning which is perfectly normal. Sounds like they are getting along well, some dogs don't play with each other and some will. Just give it some time! She'll still need to take it easy after the surgery.

Guest firegypsy

Thank you. I feel like she will come around, on her own timeline given what I've seen. But I don't want to inadvertently do anything to prolong that either. I'm a fairly seasoned owner, but I'm feeling shaken after our last situation. I probably just need to calm down. :lol

I think some of the posters have missed that it's ALREADY been two weeks since she was spayed.

If the vet said two weeks, I'm sure she's fine.

You just have to let them be dogs and work it out.

Walks together would probably be helpful, but I bet if you just give them time, it'll all work out just fine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think some of the posters have missed that it's ALREADY been two weeks since she was spayed.

Actually, what the OP said was that "she was just spayed last Monday and is meant to rest for 14 days", which to me, sounds like it's only been a week.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest firegypsy

Actually, what the OP said was that "she was just spayed last Monday and is meant to rest for 14 days", which to me, sounds like it's only been a week.

IT wasn't clear. Last Monday to me is not this past Monday, but that's my crazy quirk, not understandable to anyone but me. Not even my husband. :rolleyes:

I have been walking them together and really they're doing great. I'm just a wee bit anxious and want it to be awesome. And it will be, if I can chill out long enough to let it be.

I just wasn't sure if I should be telling Paladin to back off now, or if I should let them work it out. Like I said, he's not touching her, bullying her, anything like that. But he's big and noisy so if I needed to hush him for a while longer I will.

Guest tinams8

There is no harm in keeping them quiet a little longer, either. If it makes you feel better or if your instincts are telling you to give it more time, so be it. An extra walk for Paladin or extra running in the yard might tire him out a little and help even the playing field some.

I'm assuming she's tender (I know I would be!) and is generally just taking it slow. I fully support this! Paladin, however is SO THRILLED to have someone who is not biting him and bullying him that he wants to play. He follows her around the yard, happily barking and bouncing. She just keeps her head down and continues walking. She's new here, still trying to figure things out, and is less than two weeks out of major surgery!

The average time frame I'd expect a dog to voluntarily take it slow because they are still sore from a spay is probably around 4-5 days, maybe up to a week. After that time, they're usually back to acting normal and seem to have forgotten that they just had major surgery. So my guess is that Freya is still settling in and just not interested in playing yet. Just give it time, and others have said, some dogs just don't play much. But given how new Freya is to your home, it may just be the adjustment period and she may start playing with Paladin after she gets more comfortable.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest firegypsy

I'm assuming she's tender (I know I would be!) and is generally just taking it slow. I fully support this! Paladin, however is SO THRILLED to have someone who is not biting him and bullying him that he wants to play. He follows her around the yard, happily barking and bouncing. She just keeps her head down and continues walking. She's new here, still trying to figure things out, and is less than two weeks out of major surgery!

The average time frame I'd expect a dog to voluntarily take it slow because they are still sore from a spay is probably around 4-5 days, maybe up to a week. After that time, they're usually back to acting normal and seem to have forgotten that they just had major surgery. So my guess is that Freya is still settling in and just not interested in playing yet. Just give it time, and others have said, some dogs just don't play much. But given how new Freya is to your home, it may just be the adjustment period and she may start playing with Paladin after she gets more comfortable.

Excellent information! Thank you. I've never been through a spay/neuter before so that's what I've not observed. I appreciate it!