Jump to content

Lung Worms

Guest Greytluv

Recommended Posts

Here's a blurb I found:


The lungworm Angiostrongylus vasorum (also known as French Heartworm) is a parasite that infects dogs. The adult of this particular lungworm lives in the heart and major blood vessels supplying the lungs, where it can cause a host of problems. Left untreated, the infection can often be fatal.


The lungworm parasite is carried by slugs and snails. The problem arises when dogs purposefully or accidentally eat these common garden pests when rummaging through undergrowth, eating grass, drinking from puddles or outdoor water bowls, or pick them up from their toys.


Foxes can also become infected with the lungworm, and have been implicated in the spread of the parasite across the country.


There are two main problems caused by dogs becoming infected with lungworm:


-Infection with lungworm can cause serious health problems in dogs, and is often fatal if not diagnosed and treated.

-Dogs infected with lungworm spread the parasite into the environment, as the larvae of the parasite are expelled in the dog’s faeces. This increases the chances of other dogs becoming infected.



Based on this, it sounds like it could be spread to YOUR dog fairly easily. Is she treating it?

Edited by OwnedBySummer


Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Mom2Shiloh

How easy is it to treat? do you have to treat the ground as well, i.e. does it live in the environment for a long time? I guess I'd best research this... I don't even know if it is commonly tested for... but I do know we have tons of slugs, and many foxes....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest verthib

Yes, she's treating it. I'll call my vet tomorrow and get a sample to take in. I have 5 dogs so I guess I'll do it in shifts :lol


If your dogs aren't eating the infected dogs feces and your dogs don't eat slugs I don't think they would be infected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just finished 14 days of Panacur for lung worm. Unfortunately, I had the impression it could only be acquired from the slugs & snails. Glad I read this thread.

Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

From reading this thread I would say it is still only possible to get infected from slugs. You have to realize that parasites have a very specific life-cycle and they cannot change the cycle. If they are spread by slugs and snails, then that means they are expelled in the dog feces and then a slug comes along and they mature in the slug or snail where then ingested by a dog and the cycle begins yet again. The report did not say that the larve infect the dog, only that they are expelled into the environment where it increases the spreading of the parasite - slugs and snails comming into contact with the larve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...