Glucosamine Dosage

Guest verthib

Guest verthib

My husband bought a bottle of Glucosamine with Chondroitin for our 7 year old hound. She tends to get up a little slower especially when it's cold and overall seems achy sometimes. A lot of dog foods have it in their formula but not the food they're on. The bottle dosing (for adult humans) is one tablespoon which is 1000 mg. Should I just half it?

ETA: When I googled it I got conflicting info. One site said 600 mg and another said 1000 mg.

Edited by verthib

I currently give Timo 750mg twice daily. The vet said that was a good amount. But, for the first three months I started giving it to him, I did 1500mg twice daily for the initial load up.

Guest verthib

I currently give Timo 750mg twice daily. The vet said that was a good amount. But, for the first three months I started giving it to him, I did 1500mg twice daily for the initial load up.

Wow, the sites I found said 600-1000 once per day. If you are giving that much with vet advice, I'm not going to worry about the 1000 mg teaspoon once a day then. I'll add it to her food. Once the liquid is done I'm going to try to find capsules. Thanks for your input!

glucosamine is a food stuff, not a medicine, so the dosage is not too critical. i use "equine america" glucosamine & MSM powder, comes in a 900 gm. (about 2lb.) container, about 1/2 tsp is roughly 1 gm (1000mg). 1 tub lasts a couple years for me :) i take it myself mixed in foods, it dissolves & has no taste i can make out. me & millie do tend to eat grass on occasion tho, and i like oats (without raisins).

p.s. - it's a LOT cheaper than most sources. the 2lb container was £15 or about $24. as the tub has about 900 doses, thats 24/900 or 2.6 cents US per dose.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest verthib

So the bottle DH bought has Glucosamine plus Chondroitin plus MSM. (what is MSM?) It also has some vitamin C, Iron, Boron, and a few others. Don't have the bottle with me. Should I just not use that? Maybe there's too many ingredients?

I think you can go quite high with the quantity of glucosamine/condroitin; however, with the liquid version I would check the label first to make sure it doesn't have xylitol. If it does, the dogs shouldn't get it. (But I'm sure it will still do the humans good :colgate )

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest Eyeblaura

The info my vet gave me was for 500mg Glucosamine 400mg Chondroitin tabs and for a dog weighing 51-100 lbs she recommends a 6 week loading dose of 2 tabs am, 1 tab pm so a total of 1500mg Glucosamine and 1200 Chondroitin a day, then dropping down to 1-2 tabs a day maintenance dose.

I just bought some for Enzo to see if it helps with his stiff shoulder.

Edited by Eyeblaura