Potato Skins

Guest Iceman41

Guest KennelMom

No. The skin is where most of the glycoakaloids are located (the plant's defense system against predation) and glycoalkaloids are toxic at certain levels, though even small doses can aggravate the GI tract...Individual sensitivity varies here. I doubt anyone would be feeding in high enough concentrations to cause major issues, but it's an easy poison to avoid. We would feed the flesh, just not the skins (nor do we eat them except on very rare occasions)

Guest Liz_in_PA

No. The skin is where most of the glycoakaloids are located (the plant's defense system against predation) and glycoalkaloids are toxic at certain levels, though even small doses can aggravate the GI tract...Individual sensitivity varies here. I doubt anyone would be feeding in high enough concentrations to cause major issues, but it's an easy poison to avoid. We would feed the flesh, just not the skins (nor do we eat them except on very rare occasions)

wait a minute. What?

Potato skins upset some people's tums? Really? Heather, would you say that this is a conservative point of view or something that we really need to consider? what kind of concentration would cause difficulties? One a day?

Guest KennelMom

wait a minute. What?

Potato skins upset some people's tums? Really? Heather, would you say that this is a conservative point of view or something that we really need to consider? what kind of concentration would cause difficulties? One a day?

I think it really depends on the individual. Some people are REALLY sensitive to nightshades in general, regardless whether you're just eating the flesh or not. Other people, not so much. I've generally found dogs to be very similar to people in variation of what they can handle...maybe more tolerant, actually. Maybe that's b/c the don't live as long as we do :dunno Nightshades can be especially problematic with arthritis. This is one of my favorite blogs and he did a really good series on potatoes and humans...part 2 particularly addresses the glykoalkaloids: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/09/potatoes-and-human-health-part-ii.html You can also google and find a ton of info.

The skins could/would be problematic at certain levels and are easy to avoid so we just do. I'd have no problems feeding the flesh to my dogs, but I'd prefer to feed them something more nutrient dense like meat...or sweet potato if looking for a carb source.

Edited by KennelMom