Corn Vs Sweet Potato

Guest verthib

Came across this interesting article. This is not saying I would never feed Iams. I'm actually considering trying the 'green bag' for Angus' soft stools. Just found this article interesting...

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/dog-food-corn/

I have been a raw foodist for long stretches, and generally avoid most grains when I can, including corn. As a staple food, the story of corn, especially in the country, is extremely complicated, and ties into politics and our economy in weird and neverendlingly complicated way. My first instinct is to say that it's not a particularly healthy food, definitely not natural for dogs, and that it should be avoided if possible. That being said, there is another school that says, "if it works, it works." And thinking along those longs is not wholly without merit. At this point I will feed my dog whatever works. I tried the fancy stuff with better ingredients than I normally put in my own body, and it was a completely disaster, which onyl goes back to the point: whatever works works.

Guest jbbuzby

Not to mention, corn is also very bad for the environment, the way it is produced in the U.S. But, that is an entirely different argument and one I won't get into.

In general, I heartily agree with jaym. I will forever refuse to serve it to my own pets, but others can certainly do what works for them.

Came across this interesting article. This is not saying I would never feed Iams. I'm actually considering trying the 'green bag' for Angus' soft stools. Just found this article interesting...

I have been a raw foodist for long stretches, and generally avoid most grains when I can, including corn. As a staple food, the story of corn, especially in the country, is extremely complicated, and ties into politics and our economy in weird and neverendlingly complicated way. My first instinct is to say that it's not a particularly healthy food, definitely not natural for dogs, and that it should be avoided if possible. That being said, there is another school that says, "if it works, it works." And thinking along those longs is not wholly without merit. At this point I will feed my dog whatever works. I tried the fancy stuff with better ingredients than I normally put in my own body, and it was a completely disaster, which onyl goes back to the point: whatever works works.

I, too, tried the "high end" kibbles, thinking that was the way to be the best greyhound momma. But Summer wasn't having any of it! She eats a middle-of-the-road kibble which contains wheat as well as corn gluten meal. It took me over a year to find this kibble and for the very first time, I have a chow hound! But... I just picked up a small bag of a new kibble which is a salmon/whitefish/sweet potato kibble and we will try yet again. I'd really really really rather avoid the grain thing.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest verthib

I, too, tried the "high end" kibbles, thinking that was the way to be the best greyhound momma. But Summer wasn't having any of it! She eats a middle-of-the-road kibble which contains wheat as well as corn gluten meal. It took me over a year to find this kibble and for the very first time, I have a chow hound! But... I just picked up a small bag of a new kibble which is a salmon/whitefish/sweet potato kibble and we will try yet again. I'd really really really rather avoid the grain thing.

So what are you feeding Summer? I'm on a very frustrating mission to find something that works for Angus. I just picked up a bag of Rachel Ray's Nutrish Just 6. It's lamb and brown rice. We'll see what happens.

I guess I'm kind of confused by the header. The Iams Simply Naturals you were looking at doesn't have corn and neither does this Rachael Ray you picked up, so where does corn vs. sweet potato enter the picture? :blink:

If the guy at Dogfoodadvisor is the end all, the Iams has 4 stars vs. the Nutrish 6's 3.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest verthib

I posted it because someone said corn was just as nutricious as sweet potato....or something to that effect. And I don't think he's the end all. I just found the article interesting to see the ranking of carbs. I never said the two I was thinking about had corn, that was why I was considering them. I was interested in seeing if anyone had used the Iams SN and no one responed. When I went to the store to pick some up, the RR food was there and it's lamb based so I thought I'd try that on the off chance that chicken bothers Angus.

Whew, is that a good enough explanation? ;)

Guest KennelMom

We eat a little corn here and there and would give it in random doses to our dogs, just like we have it in our diet. As they say, the poison is in the dose :P It's definitely not what I would consider nutrient dense, nor is it good for the environment (but neither is pretty much any grain produced in this country...or any mass produced veggie). Lots of reasons I wouldn't want to make corn a staple of any diet - dog or human. But, I understand why people do. Sweet potato definitely has the better nutrient profile!

Guest verthib

Great explanation -- Hope it works!!!

I hope so too. I'm getting so frustrated. I feel sad for Angus' digestive tract and sad for my seemingly never ending search. <sigh>

I am really blessed. None of my dogs has allergies to anything and I am so grateful. That being said: As I was reading the article about corn I remembered when I lived in the country and had Goldens. In the fall one of the things I was always doing was picking up the corn stalks from the area around the barn. The dogs would go into the field and drag them home and eat the ears! (Sorry, this was when I was young and stupid and let my dogs range free while I was home :blush ) Eating the corn didn't hurt them, they were healthy, had shinny coats, good teeth, and the horses loved getting the leftovers (stalks) to munch on. :lol No big point here, just thought it was interesting in that my dogs made corn a natural food for themselves. Of course they also would eat the asparagus from the garden, fall apples, pears, and crack open the English walnuts to eat too.

Yes I did feed them and well too. All my dogs were over weight because I couldn't/didn't keep them out of the gardens and fields! :(

Edited by june