Corns

Do any dogs get corns and not have much, if any pain from them?

I may have found a tiny corn on Bu's foot. It was protruding and I thought it was dirt so i tried scraping it off. Half came off then I scratched more and the rest came and left a little hole in his foot. Hes never limped on that foot and didn't seem bothered by me removing it. Was it a corn our could it have been something else?

Guest gomiesmom

My little girl gets, corns & they do protrude (sp?) - at least I think they are corns, from what I have seen her . They do not bother her UNLESS- one falls out (like you picked yours out), then it's tender,until the corn starts to form again( about a week) . I have tried a variety of things, like putting different creams & salves on them, file them flush, etc. They only seem to bother her when they fall out. I have never had any "bleeding" or any open-ness to any of them; they're just like horny growths & they don't faze her, which is why I don't mess w/ having them hulled, since they are not bothering her. ( knock on wood - you know - I have to do that or they will start bothering her)

This is all I have,

Guest Geostar

Some time ago, there was an article in the greyhound magazine, Celebrating Greyhounds, about this problem. One theory stated that due to the long nails, these dogs can get these hardened areas..something like a wart..on their pads. Whether that is true, is unknown. We found that a holistic vet and the treatment was the answer.

Best wishes..

PS..If a foreign object, then the x-ray will determine what it is..or, in some cases, was. Our late Grace had a problem with one pad, it swelled to twice the size, cracked and bled. The x-ray showed that some foreign object had penetrated the sheath around the bone in her foot and caused a reaction. That toe was removed as there was no way to save it.