Is She Reading My Mind?

Guest BrianRke

Guest BrianRke

Most every day I stand at the kitchen island and eat lunch. Frank and Daytona are right under my feet but Diamond usually lies on her pad about 8 feet away from me. As I am standing there eating(usually chicken salad or pimento cheese w/ crackers), I think to myself "I'll give Diamond this next bite". No sooner do I finish my thought, she is up like a flash and right at my feet. I swear its like she is reading my mind. I am not aware of any changes in my body language, but I guess its possible.

This happens often and I was wondering how many other people have dogs that can "read their mind".

I wonder that same thing. In my case, Tracker doesn't even SEE me because I'm in the kitchen and he's on the sofa in the other room, sleeping. Normally, that dog will NOT come off the sofa, no matter how much I call his name or make kissy sounds. But when I'm ABOUT to put a treat in his bowl (not having put the treat down yet, so no sounds involved), just out of the blue, and softly call his name, he'll jump off that sofa as if lightning had struck and he'll race into the kitchen. So who knows... their antenna are always up, even when they look deeply asleep, I think. Maybe an old survival technique. Still, kind of mysterious. And very cute.

Guest KennelMom

Dogs can queue in on VERY subtle body language and facial expression changes...it's one thing that's made them so successful in living with humans. BUT, I also believe some dogs can get REALLY in tune with our emotions. Not thoughts, per se, like a mind reader...but they pick up on strong emotions or perceptions. Things that are just changes in brain activity. They can detect cancer and seizures so why not other internal chemical changes in us...So, who really knows...but it can be spooky how they read our minds! Ours have seemingly picked up on when one or the other of us is headed home, even before the person at home gets a text. Sometimes I'll say: yeah, I figured you were headed home...some of the dogs just got up and went to the sliding glass door. Freaky.

Guest Wasserbuffel

I have a cat that reads minds, or bladders, I'm not sure which it is. He always likes following us into the bathroom, but he goes through phases where it becomes obsessive.

One evening he was sitting around the corner from DH, not able to see him at all. We were playing games when DH got up to use the bathroom. Ron (the cat), bolted around the corner and nearly tripped DH on the way to the bathroom. DH had gotten up several times before to get snacks and drinks, but this was the only time the cat moved.

I think dogs must know things on some intuitive level. My next door neighbor was off work for about 2 mos and spent much of that time puttering in his yard or garage. Despite my often varying work hours he said he always knew when I was almost home because my hounds would bolt out of the dog door and begin staring up the street I come home on. He told me that my dogs are 'fricking psychic or something.'

Dogs can queue in on VERY subtle body language and facial expression changes...it's one thing that's made them so successful in living with humans. BUT, I also believe some dogs can get REALLY in tune with our emotions. Not thoughts, per se, like a mind reader...but they pick up on strong emotions or perceptions. Things that are just changes in brain activity. They can detect cancer and seizures so why not other internal chemical changes in us...So, who really knows...but it can be spooky how they read our minds! Ours have seemingly picked up on when one or the other of us is headed home, even before the person at home gets a text. Sometimes I'll say: yeah, I figured you were headed home...some of the dogs just got up and went to the sliding glass door. Freaky.

Sorry to burst your bubble on that one (the headed home part). I read recently (and I'll try to find it--I believe it was in the book "Inside of a dog") that some scientist set out to see whether this was indeed possible, and could prove that it wasn't, because the dog was consistently off by many minutes and because of some other inconsistencies. Lovely thought, though.

Edited by christinepi

Sorry to burst your bubble on that one (the headed home part). I read recently (and I'll try to find it--I believe it was in the book "Inside of a dog") that some scientist set out to see whether this was indeed possible, and could prove that it wasn't, because the dog was consistently off by many minutes and because of some other inconsistencies. Lovely thought, though.

It was in an article by Stanley Coren. The experiment was done by Dr Richard Wiseman and Matthew Smith of the University of Hertfordshire, England.

It was in an article by Stanley Coren. The experiment was done by Dr Richard Wiseman and Matthew Smith of the University of Hertfordshire, England.

I'm inclined to think that like any other creature...some dogs are more in tuned with those feelings than others...It's interesting though.

I do believe that my hounds no what I think.

Here in Rhode Island there is a cat (who has been written about nationally) named Oscar. He's known as "Oscar the Death Cat" because he lives in a nursing home and goes into the rooms of certain people an lays with them. The unique thing is that all of those people die within hours of the visit. He never lays with anyone who is not dying. And a few times there were people who they thought were dying and Oscar did not lay with them - so they figured he was "wrong" and then the person turned out to live days or weeks longer. Maybe it is a smell people emit before they pass??? Or cells beginning to die??? But whatever it is...it makes you wonder about things.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest BrianRke

I'm inclined to think that like any other creature...some dogs are more in tuned with those feelings than others...It's interesting though.

I do believe that my hounds no what I think.

Here in Rhode Island there is a cat (who has been written about nationally) named Oscar. He's known as "Oscar the Death Cat" because he lives in a nursing home and goes into the rooms of certain people an lays with them. The unique thing is that all of those people die within hours of the visit. He never lays with anyone who is not dying. And a few times there were people who they thought were dying and Oscar did not lay with them - so they figured he was "wrong" and then the person turned out to live days or weeks longer. Maybe it is a smell people emit before they pass??? Or cells beginning to die??? But whatever it is...it makes you wonder about things.....

Thats creepy. That would make a good movie. :eek

Guest Geostar

What Coren said may be true.. However, many years ago while I was working on obedience at a AKC Kennel club in Georgia, I was told when dog owners show their dog on leashes, the person HAS to be of a quiet mind and in control for the dog will pick up stress and concern through the leash. Maybe that sounds crazy, but, remember, our dogs are tuned into this. This was told to me by a trainer of the obedience class. Once my beloved and departed Gracie learned to sit, lie down to shake and do other things, she became a beautiful companion! Ohhhh..how I miss my sweet girl! There is one thing which always amused me: despite the fact that she loved treats, she would sit just three times in a row for me by command. On the fourth try, she would look at me as if to say, "Really? I've done this already for you.. Shall we move on?" LOL

-star

Guest KennelMom

Your not bursting my bubble. I know what I've observed in my own dogs with my own eyes. I've found I'd rather rely on myself than a study done by a stranger...a study which are often later proven faulty (by design or interpretation) for various reasons...usually by other studies. When you're measuring something that is imprecise/unpredictable and unquantifiable as behavior - especially in animals - studies become increasingly unreliable. Sometimes the very act of *trying* to measure or even observe a behavior can influence the outcome.

Edited by KennelMom

Your not bursting my bubble. I know what I've observed in my own dogs with my own eyes. I've found I'd rather rely on myself than a study done by a stranger...a study which are often later proven faulty (by design or interpretation) for various reasons...usually by other studies. When you're measuring something that is imprecise/unpredictable and unquantifiable as behavior - especially in animals - studies become increasingly unreliable. Sometimes the very act of *trying* to measure or even observe a behavior can influence the outcome.

Agreed, studies aren't always perfect. But I also feel it's sometimes quite easy to lose some objectivity when dealing with something that has a lot of emotions (like a bond with an animal) and potential for projection attached to it. It's human nature. Still, to get back to OP's question, dogs undoubtedly are very sensitive creatures.

a bit OT but my feeling about 'studies' is that if I truly wanted to believe the moon was made of green cheese, I could pay someone the $$ to prove it was true.

There's actually a bit of controversy regarding the interpretation of the data in that study. Rupert Sheldrake did the preliminary studies that led up to the more formal study, which are described in more detail in his book, Dogs That Know When Their Owners are Coming Home. Here are links if you're interested in reading more on the published study and the response by Sheldrake.

Personally, I believe that dogs are very much in tune to our body language, and that can probably explain the majority of their responses to us. However, I also believe that they do have psychic abilities beyond what we can explain or understand, and I also believe in animal communication.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Sheldrake's response is interesting. Just goes to show, some data interpretation is more guided by the human desire to fit with what we believe, especially when it gets closer to home emotionally, like this case ("Does the dog know when the owner's coming home"), as opposed to, for example, "is planet earth flat or round" (though that was argued violently at some point, but these days nobody's getting emotionally involved with this one).

While I'm not a believer in the paranormal, I can't stand sloppy science, either, so Sheldrake's response certainly is food for thought.