Potty In The House After Two Weeks?

Guest Charmedseed

Guest Charmedseed

When we first brought Indiana home, he pooped in the house twice. He had diarrhea and we figured he was nervous, figuring out a new place, etc. He never peed in the house. We brought him home about two weeks ago, and after the second day we didn't have any problems with him going in the house. We've also worked out a sort of 'signal' in which he'll paw at the back door and whine to let us know he needs to go.

Tonight we discovered that Indy had gone upstairs sometime this evening and pooped in the second floor hallway. While I was cleaning it up, he went right down the hall by the washer/dryer and started peeing right there, pretty much right in front of me! It never phased him and he never acted like he thought he was doing anything wrong. Then I found another spot where he presumably peed earlier in the evening, probably around the same time as he pooped.

So here are the factors: nothing was out of place with our regular schedule, all the other potties and meals were at the same time. He ate at 5:30, and he usually likes to go out after that. But we never saw his 'potty signal' while we were all spending time quietly in the living room, downstairs (main floor, the back door is about 10 feet from where Indy was snoozing), and I think we sort of assumed that he would tell us (then again, you know what they say about people who assume... =p).

Tonight, however, I left the gate open to the upstairs while I was doing laundry, and never closed it. Since he hadn't been going in the house for a while, I felt like this was probably going to be okay (boy was I wrong!).

Going in the house when it was new and he wasn't feeling so hot made sense, but even then he never urinated. We understand per our adoption 'counselor' who came to visit with her girl before we got Indy that the carpet is probably VERY smelly to him from prior animals that were here. She's recommended a carpet cleaner.

The only other thing we can think is that it's been snowy the last few days and he does NOT like going out in the snow to potty.

What brought this on?! Do we just need to set an alarm and go out no matter what? Help!

What worked for me in the beginning (I adopted Annie Bella 6 months ago so am also new to the wonderful world of Greyhounds) was not to rely on her to let me know. I set up a schedule with times for P&Ping which included our regular walks as well as just quick trips out to the woods for her to go. As I got to know her well enough to trust her and relax enough to look for her signs (and for me it took longer than 2 weeks) I let up on the strict schedule and watched her very closely.

Long story short is when she has to go, shes comes to me and stares. :lol No big deal stuff. No going to the door. No pacing. Just liquid brown eyes talking to me.

I'm thinking that Indiana might be pushing your buttons as if saying, "I'm doing it my way to see how it goes over," so yes I think you should just take him out on a schedule. This assumes, of course, that it's not a medical issue.

I always take mine out immediately after eating, immediately before we leave the house with or without them, immediately on coming home if we've been gone for awhile, last thing at night .... whether they ask or not.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, you need a schedule.

Until a dog is reliably housebroken, you can't just assume he's going to notify you. And if you're in another room doing whatever, maybe he did and you missed it?

My dog's "signal" is that he stares at me. That is also the signal for "I want to eat" and "I want you to shut up" and "I want to go to sleep" and "I want you to move that cat." So we got out when I say.

Don't fall for the "I don't wanna go out in this weather." If you have to, get dressed, take him out on a leash.

Also, if you haven't already had him checked out by the vet, you probably should.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest giantsfan

What everyone else said - and because one of ours wasn't even consistent with the stare, we also trained her to ring a bell. Works like a charm and it doesn't get abused too badly.

Guest Charmedseed

We kept a REALLY close eye on him during our trip to my folks' house this weekend, and have been since - all went well. Lots of praise and treats immediately after going potty outside!

Guest Geostar

I agree with Susan.. You need 'structure' in your home. You see, that is why, with a new dog or fosters, we always crate the greys for the first five days. They are taken outside to do their business at least 5 times daily and worked with. For some which don't like a crate, they soon love to be in one when a 'treat' is involved. Why the crate?

For one thing, no dog is going to realize that the carpet in your home is the same as the one in the foster's home. And, before I go on, let's face it, if anyone of us went to Germany, we would have to look for the WC..Water Closet..and those facilities are quite different than over here. Back to greyhouonds:-- They don't reason that way. As they say, 'when you gotta go, you gotta go!" Yes, I realize that some people don't use a crate, but, for our home, such a 'tool' works very well.

Therefore, we don't have accidents in our home because of it. Then, after 5 days, we'll let them out and keep an eye on them;..waiting to catch, that 'oh, gotta go'. Then, we all go outside. Now, having said that, if a grey is ill, then, we may have some accidents. We find that our greys will let us know: Maria comes around and stares at us with a 'gotta go' look in her eyes, and ole Doug whimpers sometimes and follows Maria's cue.

Best wishes..

-star

Guest verthib

My boy peed in the house 2 months after coming home. I've found that mine can't always be on a schedule. Sometimes they need to go more often just like humans with no apparent reason. I also thought we knew his signals but I guess we didn't read him closely enough. Maybe he needs more breaks?

I always take mine out immediately after eating, immediately before we leave the house with or without them, immediately on coming home if we've been gone for awhile, last thing at night .... whether they ask or not.

Exactly...even if it's cold outside.