Tests For Diabetes Insipidus And Cushings

Well, we kind of got stuck in a holding pattern due to the issues with the vet's offices. I spoke to our current vet tonight (he has been out of town) and explained my desire to switch practices. He said he would personally transfer our records to the new place right away.

As far as what's been going on with Skimmie - what's weird about it is that it comes and goes. When I posted we'd had a particularly rough day of him tanking on the water and then peeing uncontrollably. The next day he was perfectly normal and his crate was dry when I got home from work (and he does have a water bottle in his kennel so that he can have water). Some days he's perfectly normal, some days (like today) he is at the water bowl every chance he gets. Now that we've got the vet situation handled, I am free to make him an appointment at the new place for a complete workup.

Old vet's office had offered to run a UA, but we had a snow storm and due to the distance, I couldn't get out there to deliver the sample safely. This business with the vet's office has frustrated me to no end. I could have taken him to a completely different place, but, that seemed obnoxious and not worth anyone's time or my money, which is quite scarce these days.

So, I hope to get Skimmie in sometime this week to get him checked out.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

any test results??? just curious, monday i'm dropping off yet another urine sample. this time for testing looking for possible diabetes insipidus. but i did also mention lyme or another tick borne disease to my vet today,symptoms from lyme are soooo varied and unknown at times. so i started him on doxy since all of his blood work and other urine samples(dip stick testing as well as spectrometer) looked perfect.

it was a joy monitoring water intake- 4 3/4 quarts...YIKES. normal for a 78#dog should be around 3 quarts(a little under). catching his urine....maybe have missed one but it was somewhere around 1/2 of his water intake. breathing could have consumed some of the output water(he runs daily) and we estimated since he had to go out at 5 am and dh was a tad groggy- he forgot to run out w/ the bucket.at least felix cooperates, he stands when he pees!

Edited by cleptogrey

What is the treatment for Cushings and for DI??? I read somewhere that someone's grey had DI and it takes eye drops for treatment. Is it just me or does that seem kind of weird?

We haven't been able to make an appointment yet for Skimmie. Thankfully he is not having problems like he was. It's so weird that this comes and goes. Even though I spoke with my old vet and he gave me the ok, new vet told me the other day that practice manager and old vet are still working things out. I told her that I spoke to old vet and he said everything was okay. Still a little bit frustrated. You'd think they'd be excited to receive the thousands of dollars a year that I spend on vet care....in any case I'm not sure if I should wait until he starts up with the drinking and peeing again to take him in, or just keep pushing to get him in now. Urgh.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

The two drugs they use to treat Cushings are Trilostane and Lysodren. Lysodren has fewer side effects than Trilostane does. Years ago when Emmy was on Lysodren, there were just two or three compounding pharmacies in the US that compounded it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

well,yesterday, tested felix w/ acth shot- 5mg vasopressin tannate(oil)- OMG, he turned into a normal dog!! saw the response immediatly(slept all night, didn't empty the h20 bowl yesterday, didn't get up 3xs between our dinner and bedtime to go out to pee. continuing to watch him carefully today. after a 4 mile walk to town and back normal drinking, normal urination on the walk. now it's a matter of close contact w/ my vet as we figure out a plan of action.he has dealt w/ dogs w/ diabetes insipidus before.

additional blood & urine test showed no abnormalities what so ever.

yes, after reading about similar symptoms and experinced owners i did research and mention all to my vet. it's good to hear what's common, or does happen but not good to treat symptoms yourself- i always go to the vet or at least talk to him.

Edited by cleptogrey

That is fascinating! Interested to hear how things progress.