How Much Is Too Much For Brushing Teeth?

Guest fatesrelease

Guest fatesrelease

Hi everyone!

I recently went to the vet and my vet suggested I start brushing Sarah's teeth more. We didn't go into it much due to the fact she was just in for a rabies shot-but I definitely do not want a dental anytime in the future. I was wondering how much you brush your greyhounds teeth, and if you think that brushing her teeth twice a day would be too much.

Thanks so much!

~Christine & Sarah.

I've read (and been told) that if you don't do it at LEAST every other day, then don't bother doing it at all. I know a few people, including at least one on this forum, who brush twice a day after meals. Me, though... I keep forgetting and I do NOT do it enough or do it consistently enough to be useful.

Someone else had posted that they started brushing with the PetzLife Gel (instead of just rubbing it on) and had excellent results. Now if I could just find my Gel that's around here somewhere...

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest fatesrelease

I've read (and been told) that if you don't do it at LEAST every other day, then don't bother doing it at all. I know a few people, including at least one on this forum, who brush twice a day after meals. Me, though... I keep forgetting and I do NOT do it enough or do it consistently enough to be useful.

Someone else had posted that they started brushing with the PetzLife Gel (instead of just rubbing it on) and had excellent results. Now if I could just find my Gel that's around here somewhere...

Thanks for the response! I guess I'm going to try to do the brushing twice a day then. I searched around the forums and saw a lot of what to use, but not how often to do it posts.

I guess I just feel extremely guilty because my cat Meiko is going to have to have a dental soon at the age of 11 and I know she is going to have to have at least two teeth removed. I'm really worried about her and feel badly that I didn't brush her teeth but she is the most difficult cat to control when touching her. She won't let me clip her nails or touch her face. I literally have to swaddle her and even then it is a struggle because she is so strong that she somehow manages to thrash herself loose. I've tried brushing them and I've tried brushing my cat Liesel's but they just won't let me. Sarah isn't too bad. She squirms a lot, but she lets me do it.

Someone once posted that the Butlers (who recently retired from raising very fine racing greyhounds) had notices on some of their brood moms' pens to brush their teeth twice daily.

If your dog can learn to tolerate it, a nice ultrasonic toothbrush does a great job.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I brush every night. Actually, one night I brush and the next night I use PetzLife spray, which has given us great results, better than brushing alone.

The easiest thing is to do it at a routine time, and then you don't forget. We do it immediately after Beth comes in from her "last call" pee outing -- I walk her from the door right into the bathroom where I keep the dental stuff, do her teeth, and then she goes off to bed. It's as much part of our night routine as brushing my own teeth. (And Beth's teeth are nearly perfect 3.5 years after her pre-adoption dental, though she clearly has good teeth genes too.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest jbbuzby

I should also mention that I use "check-ups" chews from costco every other day (usually the day I don't brush). They are wheat and gluten free and the dogs love them! Similar to the dentastix, but don't give my pups bad gas and are less expensive (24 count for $15). They are like chewy cookies that freshen breath and reduce plaque and tarter. They also sell them on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Checkups-Dental-Dog-Treats-24ct/dp/B001T4UMM2

I brush my pups teeth twice a day.

I also put Plaque-off on their kibble once a day. That has really helped a lot!

I got it from a Gt'er

Clicky

They also get pork neck bones and raw hides about once every 2 weeks.

Lucky gets Petzlife spray at least once a day and if I remember, twice a day.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest fatesrelease

Someone once posted that the Butlers (who recently retired from raising very fine racing greyhounds) had notices on some of their brood moms' pens to brush their teeth twice daily.

If your dog can learn to tolerate it, a nice ultrasonic toothbrush does a great job.

What a cool tidbit to learn! Thank you!

Actually I had been brushing with the toothbrushes you get in the packages, but we picked up a cheap battery operated oral b toothbrush to test it to see if she could tolerate me using it and she is doing really well so in the future I'd like to get an electric toothbrush for her, but this is fine for right now. Works just the same :)

Guest fatesrelease

I brush every night. Actually, one night I brush and the next night I use PetzLife spray, which has given us great results, better than brushing alone.

The easiest thing is to do it at a routine time, and then you don't forget. We do it immediately after Beth comes in from her "last call" pee outing -- I walk her from the door right into the bathroom where I keep the dental stuff, do her teeth, and then she goes off to bed. It's as much part of our night routine as brushing my own teeth. (And Beth's teeth are nearly perfect 3.5 years after her pre-adoption dental, though she clearly has good teeth genes too.)

I actually purchased the Petzlife spray and gel to see what she liked. I was thinking I might alternate and do one day spray, one gel etc.

My problem before was finding a routine time to do it. Life gets so hectic and I have so much to juggle that I easily get overwhelmed with how much there is to do. Not that Sarah's teeth aren't important- they are extremely important, but things get crazy. I think we are going to start brushing after each meal and I'll just have to make sure I schedule enough time to do so.

I am hoping I can reverse some of the damage I've done :( It's not horrible, but she does have some discoloration.

Guest fatesrelease

I should also mention that I use "check-ups" chews from costco every other day (usually the day I don't brush). They are wheat and gluten free and the dogs love them! Similar to the dentastix, but don't give my pups bad gas and are less expensive (24 count for $15). They are like chewy cookies that freshen breath and reduce plaque and tarter. They also sell them on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Checkups-Dental-Dog-Treats-24ct/dp/B001T4UMM2

I've thought about getting her some sort of chew before, but Sarah's stomach is seriously sensitive. We had a big issue earlier this year and had to take her to the emergency vet on a Sunday, and then miss work and take her to the vet on Monday as well. She had extreme diarrhea/vomiting that literally scared me it was so so bad. This incident cost around $500+ dollars that I didn't have when all that happened was she had an unfavorable reaction to the food that she had been on since being at the adoption service. So any products I have to add to her food/ treats or chews I'm really hesitant to have her try...even though I feel badly she can't have treats- she loves them so much. She also has some other gastric issues as well. I worry that she might choke and vomit from having chews.

Petzlife did reverse some tartar/discoloration on Beth's teeth! They have definitely gotten better since I started using it regularly about a year ago. I used it a couple of times a day at first. Now every other day seems fine, alternating with the brushing.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest fatesrelease

I brush my pups teeth twice a day.

I also put Plaque-off on their kibble once a day. That has really helped a lot!

I got it from a Gt'er

Clicky

They also get pork neck bones and raw hides about once every 2 weeks.

Lucky gets Petzlife spray at least once a day and if I remember, twice a day.

I am going to work on doing it twice a day. I'm really going to work hard at it! So far so good.

As I said in the post above I don't think I'll be adding anything to her diet. I purchased the Petzlife spray and gel which I might alternate.

I am hoping using those, brushing, and also putting some of the liquid oral care in the water will help.

Fingers crossed! I hope to see an improvement in her teeth.

Petzlife did reverse some tartar/discoloration on Beth's teeth! They have definitely gotten better since I started using it regularly about a year ago. I used it a couple of times a day at first. Now every other day seems fine, alternating with the brushing.

Awesome news! I really hope it does with Sarah. Her teeth aren't horrid, but they need something. I'm going to brush her teeth with the toothpaste after she eats in the morning and then use the spray, and then at night after meals brush and then use the gel- I think the gel will have longer to sit on her teeth then and she's less active then so it will really soak in. Maybe a crazy theory, but we will see!