Anti-Cat-Chase Training...

Friends of mine want to adopt a very poor abandoned dog that is extremely strong and not very educated.

The dog is very big and weighs at least 90 pounds. His force is impressing. My friends own 7 cats.

Today the dog visited for the first time my friends' house and wanted to chase the cats immediately.

They were not prepared, had no water-bottle nothing.

My question:

do you think that it would ever be possible to get that cat-chasing instict out of the dog?

It seems so difficult...

Do you have any experiences?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

It depends on what the dog does when not allowed to chase.

1) does the dog pant, whine, drool, and otherwise strain to chase the cats when restrained

2) does the dog hunt the cats when they are out of sight

3) if you stand between the cat and the dog, does the dog continuously try to get around you to see the cat

4) if when straining to chase the cat, can you do anything to get the dogs attention away from the cat?

If you answered yes to the first 3 questions and no to the last question, I dont think it is safe for that dog to be around the cats. If you can distract the dog when the cats are around, even for a few seconds, then there can be training accomplished. Good luck.

Guest FrankieWylie

Chad gave us great advice concerning Magic!

While we are no where near the two of them hanging out together (probably never), Magic has made fabulous progress not wanting to play with kitty all the time!

I did with Loca but it took a long time and a lot of work. I had to have her tethered to me for a long time.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.