Newer Owner... Shedding Question

Guest Shelley919

Guest Shelley919

Hi All... This is my first post here, but I've been learning a lot just reading the forums. We have had our wonderful greyhound, Dyna since March. When we first got her, she was shedding like crazy and seemed sort of sad, etc. Since I had read a LOT before we adopted her, I wanted her thyroid tested based on these observations. Turns out, she needed to be on Soloxine and is a different dog on it. She began playing with her toys, getting excited when we came home, virtually stopped shedding, etc. She's been on it since June this year. Right now, I'm worried because it seems like she is shedding a TON again. I don't want to over react, and she seems fine otherwise. She's eating, playing, going for walks, etc. I thought maybe we should take her to the vet to see if her dose needs increased, but then I started reading here and saw some posts about people having shedding problems as well. Any thoughts on if this is normal? It's only been the last 2 weeks or so. Just wanted some input!! Thanks so much.

She's probably shedding because most greyhounds will shed about twice a year. Mine are shedding because this winter is warmer than normal. They'll do it again in the spring.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Welcome!

Mine are shedding like CRAZY! You could make another dog out of all the hair I have brushed out of Curfew alone! :lol

With the weather well above normal, :( , they just don't need the thicker coats. And, yes, they do seem to go through shedding cycles.

I am at the point of grooming every other day here.

Good Luck! Too bad there isn't a market for used dog hair! :)

Yep, all three of mine are shedding like crazy. Thank goodness for my Dyson.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest Shelley919

I love my Dyson!! LOL. Thanks for the feedback, I feel better knowing I'm not the only greyhound owner with hair everywhere!! I'm going to try to brush more often than normal to see if that helps!

Welcome to you and Dyna!

Since it is about 6 months since she started on thyroid medication, if you haven't already, it would be a good idea to have her thyroid levels checked anyway. Don't worry about being paranoid, it's pretty standard for seeing if her dose needs adjusting.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest verthib

Hi All... This is my first post here, but I've been learning a lot just reading the forums. We have had our wonderful greyhound, Dyna since March. When we first got her, she was shedding like crazy and seemed sort of sad, etc. Since I had read a LOT before we adopted her, I wanted her thyroid tested based on these observations. Turns out, she needed to be on Soloxine and is a different dog on it. She began playing with her toys, getting excited when we came home, virtually stopped shedding, etc. She's been on it since June this year. Right now, I'm worried because it seems like she is shedding a TON again. I don't want to over react, and she seems fine otherwise. She's eating, playing, going for walks, etc. I thought maybe we should take her to the vet to see if her dose needs increased, but then I started reading here and saw some posts about people having shedding problems as well. Any thoughts on if this is normal? It's only been the last 2 weeks or so. Just wanted some input!! Thanks so much.

Could be because of the cold weather. Mine did that and I was worried but it has since subsided.

I love my Dyson!! LOL. Thanks for the feedback, I feel better knowing I'm not the only greyhound owner with hair everywhere!! I'm going to try to brush more often than normal to see if that helps!

This was going to be my suggestion. I brush my guys several times a week. Seems to help though they don't seem to shed a whole heck of a lot this time of year.

Welcome to GT!