Supplements Question - Lupus Pup

kolarik1

Hi Everyone.

So, long story short, Pop was diagnosed with Lupus this past spring and the vet had me keep him on the crappy Purina Dog Chow as his symptoms improved while he was on it. I tried switching him back to Diamond Naturals in October, but his symptoms flared up so he's back on Purina Dog Chow.

So...he is eating poop (started a couple weeks after my foster came in back in August)...which I highly suspect is because he is upset over having a foster here (so no more fosters after this one is adopted)...but I'm thinking since he seems to only go after his own poop that maybe his body needs more nutrition.

Does anyone with a Lupus pup (or any pup really) feed supplements? If so, what supplements? Also, for those with Lupus pups, what food do you feed? I should add, I tried giving him a Vit E oil and Fish Oil pill and the gas he produced nearly peeled the paint off the walls (he woke me from a dead sleep several times a night it was so bad)...and he's had those pills in the past without that effect...so those may be interacting with his Lupus medication. He gets Prednisolone as needed and then hydrochloroquinone (human anti-malarial med) every night.

I'm also going to regularly start giving all 3 pups pineapple in their food so hopefully the poop will taste nasty to him, but I want to eliminate all possibilities. Until he gives up his poop addiction, he is crated while I'm gone as I do not want to come home to poop flung 3' up my hallway walls...or drops all across my bathroom floor...disgusting. You get the idea.

Thanks in advance! I may just have to take him back to MSU, but I just recently found out the vet who had been there when he was diagnosed is no longer the resident vet there...and I'd hate to start all over with another vet but I may have to. I know they have his file, but I don't want to go through it all over again...I just want him to stop eating poop and be nutritionally healthy :)

ETA now that he's on meds, his poop is never overly formed...at most a soft formed stool...but usually just puddles of soft poo. It doesn't matter if he's eating Dog Chow or Diamond Naturals, his poop piles don't seem to improve. Part of me is thinking of giving pumpkin to firm up his stools, except it can be hard to find in the off season, which means I'll have to majorly stock up on it.

Edited by kolarik1

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

My lupus pup eats Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream - grain free really seems to help the lupus kids :) Plus it's salmon based, so good for their skin and coat, and helps get some other Omega 3s into their system.

Pinky takes Vitamin E, Niacinamide (NOT Niacin), and Omega 3 fish oil caplets. She has well-formed poop and hardly ever has gas.

Some dogs just eat poop, no real reason behind it other than they're dogs and they do gross things :lol My old girl just started eating poop one day even though she hadn't done it when she first came.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thanks both of you...he has had TOTW before and loved it, but that was when we thought he had allergies, not lupus. I may get a small bag and try it, but if it doesn't work (or makes him break out more) then back to the Purina Dog Chow...YUCK

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel