Eating Issuse

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

Goldie is my second greyhound. And while she is shy and tentative about almost everything. She most definitely isn't shy about eating. She literally inhales her food. She doesn't chew she just swallows it whole. And after every meal pukes it up then eats it again but does chew the second time around. I have tried feeding her and Beckett separately, Ive placed a smaller bowl and cup in the bowl trying to force her to slow down. All without any luck. Normally I'd just let it be but lately she has either had one stuck in her throat or something because she's started to heave for several minutes after eating. Any thoughts on how i can get her to slow down and actually taste her food?

You can try spreading her food on a cookie sheet so she has to chase down the pieces.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Soak it in water until the food absorbs the water and is mushy. Greyhounds are not used to eating hard kibble, they don't chew it, they swallow it whole.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Often my new fosters will do that. I think it is a habit they pick up at the kennels when you feed 20 dogs at once you have to grab as much as you can at once. So they load up and then go to their happy place to hork and actually eat. My fosters would do that a few days until they realized I free feed and there always seems to be food. So they then go into a grazing mode.

The funny thing is my new foster Josie has an overbite. So she will try to grab a mouthful of kibble and as she walks to the living room for dinner she drops a little trail of kibble.. :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

What kind of food are you using ? I had better luck switching Diesel to a larger kibble that forced him to chew. He still tries to gobble after 8 years, but it's better.

DL