Severe Separation Anxiety With Ross

Guest Ross_a_Roo

I know you have decided to return Ross but wanted to share what it was like with Lena

Lena had bad SA- she was returned twice because of it. Destroyed a bedroom in her first home. Broke out of the crate and has the scars to show for it. Peed/pooped all over the house. Barked herself hoarse.

The first month as my foster was hell. I used DAP, melatonin, walking every day-nothing worked.

She was even with 3 other hounds.

The only thing that worked what time.

6 months later, she's a completely different hound.

No SA at all although she does still get anxious in new environments.

what was your approach to treating lena's anxiety, if i may ask?

I used DAP, melatonin, walking every day-nothing worked.

I also crated her which made her SA worse.

I stopped crating and made sure we had a daily routine.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest spascale

I am experiencing a similar problem. Percy is fine in his crate, but I would love to be able to leave him in the house without me. Has anyone used a behaviorist? Did it work out positively?

I am experiencing a similar problem. Percy is fine in his crate, but I would love to be able to leave him in the house without me. Has anyone used a behaviorist? Did it work out positively?

If he is fine in his crate, why change things?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Arielle

I've been reading your thread on the other board about giving Ross and Downy up, and it is truly heartbreaking because I am going through the same thing. After an entire night of crying my eyes out, I have also decided to give up my grey, Ari, so that she can have the life she deserves. As an extremely busy student, I know that I'm not able to devote the time and attention to her that she needs, and I also know that she would be happier in a home with other dogs. I realize now that it was a mistake to adopt her, but it was one of those spur of the moment, "she'll be put down if nobody adopts her soon," decisions. My problem is that I adopted her from a blood donor program, and I definitely don't want to bring her back there. Good luck to you and know that you are not alone!

i have consulted a behaviorist. it was a good experience, but expensive. i question if it was more valuable than just doing the research. we didnt really come up with any ideas i hadnt already come across except for one: NEVER leave a greyhound with SA alone for long enough to panic while your building up his confidence through alone training. thats what im working on right now.

I've been reading your thread on the other board about giving Ross and Downy up, and it is truly heartbreaking because I am going through the same thing. After an entire night of crying my eyes out, I have also decided to give up my grey, Ari, so that she can have the life she deserves. As an extremely busy student, I know that I'm not able to devote the time and attention to her that she needs, and I also know that she would be happier in a home with other dogs. I realize now that it was a mistake to adopt her, but it was one of those spur of the moment, "she'll be put down if nobody adopts her soon," decisions. My problem is that I adopted her from a blood donor program, and I definitely don't want to bring her back there. Good luck to you and know that you are not alone!

I'm sorry you're finding yourself in this position, Arielle.

Whereabouts are you located? Chances are there are some NON-blood donor adoption programs in your area that could help you out.

Best luck to you and your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.