Yawning... Nervous Behavior?

We've had Henry going on two years. He started off as a very shy dog- submissive and somewhat unconfident. After four training and obedience classes, Henry is 100% a different dog. He is certified in both CGC and TDI. He willingly approaches people and has perfect, well-mannered behavior in unfamiliar situations. The one thing I do notice is that Henry yawns A LOT. Not the big, prolonged "I'm so tired!" yawns. Very quick, sometimes repeated little yawns. He does it all the time, even if he's just getting attention at home from me and DB. I've read that this can be a nervous behavior dogs use to calm themselves down in times of stress. I'm wondering if he does this as a way to reassure himself? Maybe just a nervous habit that he developed from his younger, less-confident days? I wonder how I should interpret this behavior and if I should do anything back as a sign of assurance.

Guest BrianRke

Thats a very good question. I have also read the same thing about yawning to relieve stress. Diamond yawns a lot, even in situations where Im pretty sure she isnt stressed. Im looking forward to reading the responses.

Guest mbfilby

Dogs yawn for various reasons. Yawning is a stress reliever, but it also is a signal to others that all is well. For instance, a dog may be laying and another dog approaches. Laying dog would yawn to signal there is no aggression to the approaching dog.

Dogs also yawn when they are tired, just like people, and they can yawn before and after an activity.

Yawning when out and about in an unusual situation usually does indicate that the dog is stressed. It may also mean that he finds the situation or the people threatening in some way because it's a calming signal which dogs use to try to defuse a situation and tell the world that they're not a threat and to please back off.

It's something we look for in Pets As Therapy dogs while visiting; if our dog yawns a lot, licks his nose, or turns his eyes or his head away, we take it as a sign that he has had enough and it's time to leave before he gets really anxious. Stay too long, too often, and a therapy dog might decide he doesn't like his work anymore and refuse to go, which would be a shame, so we watch them very carefully while working. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop