Training Needed?

Guest Norzy

besides looking for certified training clubs thru the AKC(american kennel club) check out the site for AMERICAN PET DOG TRAINER ASSOC., it's APDTA i believe or something like that. if you write the entire name you should come up w/ their site and lists of local trainers.

always go and watch a class, talk to the owner/trainer/members of the club(akc has lots of clubs) and see where you feel comfortable. there's lots of clicker training on out there. it's a great introduction, but i personally feel it's just to engage the pup, get them ready for lots of fun, positive training. i have experienced both and i do see that the greys really respond and "wake up" to the clicker then get w/ the program.

figure out exactly what YOUR goals are and try to meet them. a good trainer will help you get there and over obsitcals. also a good trainer will notice if your dog is "shutting down". many greys get bored easily and you and the trainer need to be able to read the signs. they are pretty easy to see, but remember most classes are geared towards golden and labs that will repeat the same task a gazillion times, 2 or 3 repeats of a new skill are more than enough for a greyhound.also practice should be intergrated into daily life, otherwise they will be bored.

also the location for the class should NOT be a small ring or area. look for a good size room, many clubs use churches and have non-skid rubber matting. you want a big area to work in where recals and long downs and stays can be done at a distance in a safe environment.

it's really FUN training w/ your dog(you get trained as well)