Puppy Food

Molly, who is now 7 months, has been eating Kirkland's puppy food since we got her. Lately, though, she has patches in her fur. Took her to the vet to make sure it wasn't ringworm or something. Vet said it looks like dry skin, and thinks maybe she's not getting enough of one of the nutrients (though she couldn't say which one). She recommended switching to Purina or Science diet, but that we should stick with puppy formula.

Anyone have any puppy food recommendations?

Is it possible that we could just add Missing Link or something to her diet?

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Vet said it looks like dry skin, and thinks maybe she's not getting enough of one of the nutrients (though she couldn't say which one).

Is it possible that we could just add Missing Link or something to her diet?

That sounds like a very odd (and lame) diagnosis from a vet. I would expect more than *maybe* it's a nutritional lack and a better explanation of what nutrient it is. It's hard to give a recommendation about what food or supplement would be best w/o that info.

However my adult hounds do just fine with Purina One. You could try a fish oil supplement or the Missing Link as it couldn't hurt and might help.

At 7 months, I would think you'd be fine switching to an adult food. Science Diet and plain ol' Purina are pretty low on my list of recommendations. Many vet suggest them because they are well-known. Most vets have little-to-know knowledge of canine nutrition at all, and so are not necessarily the best resource for advice.

What are you feeding your adults? If they are doing well on it, I would bet you'd be fine to switch her over to that. If that does not solve the skin issues, you might want to do a skin scraping/seek a second opinion.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest WhiteWave

Riddick ate adult food since I got him at 7 weeks. He has done fine, just switched him over to raw about 3 weeks ago and is still doing great.

I fed him Earthborn Holistic Primitive for a while and when he started really growing, switched over to Pro Plan Performance. He just turned 7 months old. He did really like canned Tripet. He ate a lot of that when he was little mixed in his kibble.

felix has always been on adult food- i too adopted him at 7 weeks. fish oil,(cold pressed salmon) is excellent, it's the only suppliment that i use. start of sloooowly and up it so you don't end up with loose stools. lakse kronch is the brand that i have used, w/ lots of success, it's something like 1 squirt/pump per 10#. i never had success w/ capsules and it takes around 6 weeks to really see a change.

it's really strange but at that age felix ended up w/ some wierd bald spots. we did numerous scraping- no mites to be found! but the hair loss did look like demodex mange. i believe that i treated it w/ awinol ointment-or something like that. it took around 6+weeks to fill in. the other thing is they popped up after a couple of rounds on flagyl. my vet has never heard of any connection to flagyl and hair loss, but he did comment that felix had him perplexed. eventually the hair filled in, but my vet said that if it's demodex it will clear up on it's own anyway.