Collars

Guest Iceman41

A lot of people use regular collars as tag collars, to keep the ID on the dog when not walking.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

A lot of people use regular collars as tag collars, to keep the ID on the dog when not walking.

Yep. That's probably what you're seeing. I'd say most people on the forum use a martingale for taking their dog out and a regular-looking collar for tags only.

A collar with some sort of choking action is generally regarded as the safest collar choice for a greyhound/sighthound because they have little-to-no stop to their head and it's easier for them to back out of a traditional, non-choking collar. For safety reasons, never leave ANY kind of choke collar (even a martingale) on a dog that's unsupervised.

In Europe you'll find more people using a traditional fish-tail sighthound collar, which is usually a leather buckle collar that sits higher on the neck and buckles. It's wider in the middle and tapers to about an inch at the buckle.

Regardless of the collar choice, proper fit is critical to a safe collar.

We use a very narrow nylon buckle collar for tags, and a martingale for outings. The tag collars stay on all the time, and the martingales are used only for training/outings, and come off at other times.

I love martingales, and will likely use them for all breeds I own in the future. Besides, you can get really cool ones from many vendors on GT! :)

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

My dogs wear house collars. We've used several different options for house collars. Right now two are wearing narrow leather buckle collars with name & cell number stamped & stained into them, no tags attached. http://www.daveengraves.com/daveengraves_020.htm (These can be ordered without the d-ring.) One is wearing a narrow nylon buckle collar with a slide on CollarTag from Boomerang Tags. http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags&k=h#CollarTag_L The adoption contract I signed requires the dogs to wear id at all times. I'm fine with that but want to limit as much as possible the chance of them getting hung up on anything.

We add either martingale, side-pull limited-slip or buckle hound collars for outings. Those are the collars their tags are attached to.

Roland.jpg

Of the martingales I've used, this style seems to work the best.

Guest Iceman41

Thanks for all the info

I did order a collar from one of those links.

I ordered the house collar with the leather engraved with the info

I do see a lot of people uploading pics

I am working on it

I use a Mac computer an I am trying to figure out how to make them 60k with graphic converter

Any way

Thank you all

Ice

Guest FrankieWylie

So, should I be removing the boys' martingale collars? Right now they are the only collars they have and I haven't noticed anything that would warrant them being removed.

We do have tag collars on order, but planned on them wearing both. We take them in and out a lot so it never occurred to me to take the collars off!

Guest Iceman41

I am not an expert greyhounder like most here but do have a smaller dog also plus my girl.

I live in near Pittsburgh and right now it's snowing.

Once it gets real cold and we dont walk I take there collars off.

I have a fenced in yard not to concerned about them running off or jumping the fence but I will keep the tag collar on my grey just in case

Guest Iceman41

I am not an expert greyhounder like most here but do have a smaller dog also plus my girl.

I live in near Pittsburgh and right now it's snowing.

Once it gets real cold and we dont walk I take there collars off.

I have a fenced in yard not to concerned about them running off or jumping the fence but I will keep the tag collar on my grey just in case.

I guess I just take them off to give them a break

So, should I be removing the boys' martingale collars? Right now they are the only collars they have and I haven't noticed anything that would warrant them being removed.

We do have tag collars on order, but planned on them wearing both. We take them in and out a lot so it never occurred to me to take the collars off!

A lot of people (myself included) remove the martingales in the house as a safety precaution. Martingales have a choking action in order to prevent them from slipping off, however, if that D-ring gets caught on something in the house (hounds have even been known to get a toe or foot caught in them when scratching) the dog will panic and pull away from whatever it is stuck to... but the collar will just get tighter and tighter. There are dogs that have strangled themselves to death after the martingale got caught. For that reason the martingale is only worn on walks and in the backyard when I am out there with him. He has a break away tag necklace that he wears 24/7 with all his tags in case he were to get loose. However, if it were to get caught on anything it will come apart so the dog won't hurt himself. My dog is microchipped so even without his tags he should be able to find his way home with the help of a vet clinic or shelter.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FlosMomma

As a new grey owner, I am so glad you asked this question! Like you, that is all I have for mine and never knew to ask about any other collar. Thank you for the post and thanks to the others giving advice!

Guest Tiptons_Mom

My dogs wear house collars. We've used several different options for house collars. Right now two are wearing narrow leather buckle collars with name & cell number stamped & stained into them, no tags attached. http://www.daveengraves.com/daveengraves_020.htm (These can be ordered without the d-ring.) One is wearing a narrow nylon buckle collar with a slide on CollarTag from Boomerang Tags. http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags&k=h#CollarTag_L The adoption contract I signed requires the dogs to wear id at all times. I'm fine with that but want to limit as much as possible the chance of them getting hung up on anything.

We add either martingale, side-pull limited-slip or buckle hound collars for outings. Those are the collars their tags are attached to.

Roland.jpg

Of the martingales I've used, this style seems to work the best.

Thanks for the link, those stamped leather collars a wonderful. I have already contacted them to get one for Tipton.