Lark The Whippet

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

Here's Lark's history: We found out she had kidney failure about 5 months ago. I give her daily sub q fluids and azodyl. She won't eat the prescription diet and I feed her just about whatever it is she'll eat now. She got down to a scary weight about 2 weeks ago and had a dental last Friday. She had a great week after the dental, she's eating and perky and back to her old self. Until yesterday. I got out of the shower and she seemed drunk. She kept losing her balance and running into walls- it was a really scary episode that lasted about 10 minutes before I got her to lie down and relax. Since then she seems fine lying down but when standing she seems to lose her balance and lurch every 45 second or so. Yesterday the vet took her blood pressure and discovered it was very high- much higher than last week during the dental. He put her on Benezepril in hopes that it would help. She got one tablet last evening and will get it daily in the evening with a recheck in 14 days. She's still eating, she's excited for treats. Yesterday her eyes were clear and perky and she really seemed ok other than the lurching every minute when she stands.

This morning she is not quite so perky and was really dazed this morning. I gave her fluids and breakfast and she does seem to be perked up again, but not willing to stand or walk around unless I encourage her to.

Any suggestions or thoughts? This is heartbreaking :( If she seemed sick- unwilling to eat or depressed, I'd not hesitate to send her to the rainbow bridge today, but she just looks happier then I've seen her in a while. I'm really not sure what to do...

Might ask the vet about the dosage of meds. We used Enalapril, and I gave @ 1/3 the dose my vet would normally prescribe for my size of dog. Tried higher dose, didn't make her dizzy but did make her pretty snoozy and not on her feet much.

Sending lots of hugs and best wishes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wonder if it could be a TIA or stroke.

One day Twister (1/2 whippet) had a staggering walk (like she was drunk) and mild eye twitching.

The vet couldn't confirm that it was a stroke because her symptoms were a bit unusual. At this visit, the vet determined that Twister had lymphoma (this was before the kidney issues showed up on bloodwork). So it was either a stroke or lymphoma in the brain (or other neurological deficit). So she started chemo for the lymphoma which put it into remission.

She did well for a month or so before the bloodwork showed kidney issues. We stopped the chemo and managed the lymphoma with less harsh medication. Her kidneys continued to fail and she was put on the subQ fluids, azodyl, and enalapril (which she had been on for 2 years due to high blood pressure). She had another "stroke" and I took her into OSU (who was managing the lymphoma). They felt that it was likely a Transient Ischemic Attack (ministroke). She had a total of three "strokes" during this 3 month period. She recovered fully from each one, although it took a little longer each time. The last one took about 24 hours for her to be able to walk normally. I told myself at this point, that if she had another one and wasn't normal after 36 hours, I would let her go. Ultimately, her kidneys went into total failure and she refused to eat. I let her go at this point.

I do want to let everyone know that Twister ate during this period, enjoyed her walks and was a happy girl.

Jane

I'm also wondering about a stroke or vestibular syndrome. Is she falling consistently to one side or the other? Any other vestibular signs like nystagmus (eyes twitching from side to side), head tilt, or circling?

How high was her blood pressure? If your vet is concerned that the high blood pressure is the cause of the symptoms, she may need a stronger BP medication. ACE inhibitors like benazepril have a pretty mild effect on BP. You usually also need a med like amlodipine to really get a high BP under control.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest karma98104

When I brought her to the vet, I thought it was a seizure or a stroke, he doesn't think that's the case, but I guess we can't really tell. No head tilting, not falling to one side, it's like every minute or so she just gets overcome with vertigo and scrambles around for something to stabilize her. Sometimes she lurches and her legs just crumple- then she catches herself and it's over. It doesn't seem to happen when she's walking- she went on 2 good walks today and didn't seem to falter- just when she's standing still or just milling around the house. Weird, right? I don't believe it happens when she's sleeping or when she's lying down but I guess I might not be able to tell.

The vet checked her blood sugar and it was normal, and until yesterday the only drug she was on was post-dental antibiotic and azodyl, I don't think either of those would cause this. I spoke with the vet today and decided to hang in there till Monday, unless she gets worse, and hope the BP medication does something good. Then ??? I don't know.

This is really hard for me because she seems HAPPY. Happy to go for a car ride, happy to go for walks, and for the first time in weeks she's starving and begging for table scraps. If she seemed depressed or suffering I'd have an easy decision to make, but this??? :(

Sending good thoughts that she improves through the weekend. :hope I know it must be difficult to see her having difficulty, but as long as she continues to be happy, eat well, and show no other signs of illness or progression, I think it's reasonable to give her some time to see if she improves.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest karma98104

Has she been on the same antibiotics before without side effects???

I don't actually know, but she's had a dental before and so probably. She was also on the last day of 7 days of the antibiotics, so I doubt they were to blame.

She's way way way better today- maybe the BP pills kicked in!

So glad to hear she is better today!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.