Help With Stairs!

Katie has an odd problem with stairs. If we come across stairs outside (going up to building doors, on hiking trails, in outdoor malls, etc.) she'll go up and down them with no hesitation or change in stride. Put her in front of stairs INSIDE a building, and she will get her front feet about 3 steps up and freeze. Going down is the same way. Stairs in parking garages can go either way, and I am not quite sure what makes her treat those like inside or outside stairs.

So... any advice on how to show her that inside stairs are exactly like outside stairs? And, of course, part of the problem is that I do not have stairs in my house, and it's not that easy to find public, dog-friendly spots with stairs. But any help will be appreciated!

Rebecca

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Any friends who have not-too-scary inside, carpeted stairs that you can practice on?

FWIW, my Joseph doesn't always like strange stairs either. And he goes up and down a full, straight flight multiple times per day here.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lighting is important. Ours did the same thing at the start. Did them fine outside, not inside.

Make sure all the lights are on inside, lots of encouragement. I've stood behind Ryder for half an hour encouraging him up the stairs. He would often stretch his legs as high up the stairs as it would go without moving his back legs and would stand there for minutes..... I walked his back feet up for him and I let him rest his butt against me while on the stairs. He also very often wanted to turn around but I wouldn't let him.

Try standing at the base of the stairs with your dog, lots of light, lots of encouragement and patience. It helps if the stairs are carpeted as well. You are her hooman, and she must trust she will not fall with you behind her.

Edit: I also find the "closed" stairs are better than open. The ones that have a backing on the stairs so their legs won't go flying through.

Good luck.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Our Ginger hated our stairs when we first brought her home. I would imagine we had it much easier because we have our own stairs to practice on but basically we did what a few other people already mentioned, standing behind her and walking her up and standing in front of her and walking her feet down until she figured it out (about 3 weeks). We have hardwood stairs, no runners or padding and she's up and down the stairs like a champ now.

The one thing I can add is that she seems more comfortable against the wall. Weather going up or down she usually hugs the wall under the railing (more so when she's going up). Outside stairs she learned much more quickly. I also find that the more she stood there thinking about it, the more freaked out she got. So weather we had to go up or down, I got her going quickly before she could think about it too long. Even now if I let her pause at the top too long she'll get nervous and need to "re-set" before she'll make her descent. You wouldn't know it to watch her now but I actually had to carry her down the stairs the first few days because we didn't know what else to do with her lol.

They're smart dogs, she'll figure it out with your help before you know it.

Edited by Mike516

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

using the 'suitcase' method can be helpful. Put the dog in a harness and hold her up and against you like you would a suitcase and take the steps slowly until she gets a feel for them.