Renal Failure And A Broken Tooth

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

My nearly 12 year old whippet has kidney failure. Her veterinarian says her blood work is not too bad, but her phosphates and creatin were high. We discovered through xrays last week that she actually only has one kidney. She's on Azodyl and we are just starting fluids, but her appetite is just awful, and she's down to 26 pounds from 33. I started home cooking for her and the fluids seem to perk up her appetite, but she's still eating very little and I can't see her gaining back any of that weight.

The vet checked her teeth 4 months ago and said that she'd need a dental soon, but it wasn't imminent. But, well.. we also discovered this last week that she has a broken molar. It didn't seem to be causing her pain last week, and we crossed our fingers and hoped it wouldn't start to, one problem at a time!

I'm really noticing today that it is indeed bothering her, she's avoiding crunchy things and only chewing on the left side.

So.. what do I do? Is putting an old, sick, underweight dog under anesthesia for a dental even remotely safe? She's still quite vibrant and with it, I don't think we are close to the end...

I would do it. I would take every precaution, but I would do it. Could well be that that tooth is having a bigger effect on her appetite than it seems.

Hugs and best luck whatever you decide!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

I would do it. I would take every precaution, but I would do it. Could well be that that tooth is having a bigger effect on her appetite than it seems.

Hugs and best luck whatever you decide!

:nod

You know your dog If you think the tooth is causing pain, you're probably right.

I'd take the chance rather leaving her in pain. Also, should the tooth get infected you're risking ever greater renal problems. Remove the tooth, get a dental at the same time & go from there. Anesthesia is scary enough & even more frightening when you know your dog has renal failure. I know because I've been there twice with the same dog. On the day of the procedure he went in early to start fluids. They continued fluids through the procedure & for a while afterwards. He came home a little groggy & his neuro probs were exacerbated but his appetite was greatly improved. He was actually just in for diagnostics, nothing that would make him feel better. We think his renal probs were effecting his appetite more than his gastroparesis. All the fluids probably helped flush him out.

You need to make the decision you think is best for your dog. Based just on what you've written though, I'd go for the dental work.

Hope your pup feels better soon.

Can't stress the IV fluids enough. If there's a remote chance that the tooth pain is contributing to her lack of appetite, or maybe inability to eat comfortably, I would do it, too. Will send some special prayers her way. She probably feel pretty lousy.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Swifthounds

I agree about the fluids being especially important for a renal/kidney dog. For my own dogs, I would never do general anesthesia without fluids regardless of age or health. Light sedative for a few staples I wouldn't bother.

Guest karma98104

Thanks everyone. She'll be having her dental on Friday, I'm dropping her off at 7am and she'll have fluids for hours before, during and after. The vet isn't too concerned about the procedure, and does have experience with the skinny guys.

I'm just, of course, terribly worried :unsure