Vomiting, Diarrhea

Guest SusanP

Spinner has had diarrhea and vomiting since late last night. All he wants to do is eat grass, frantically, and then throw it up. Should I let him continue with this self treatment, or is there anything else I can do for him. Of course it's early Sunday a.m. so an E-vet is the only option. Help?

I'd keep him from eating the grass and give him a regular-strength pepcid (10mg famotidine).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would stop him from eating the grass. The grass could be making his vomiting worse, and can damage his throat. Fertilizer on the grass is worse. For starters, white rice may help his diarrhea. The vomiting is especially a concern. Any idea what prompted this sickness? Could he have gotten into something toxic?

Edited by 3greytjoys

Oh gosh, we never use fertilizer or other lawn chemicals. But I got the famotadine down and brought him in. Of course, keeping the famotaine down is another problem...he just threw up again.

I honestly don't know what caused this. We don't keep anything toxic around or within reach, but I'm sure it's always the thing you don't think of that does it... At what point do I take him to a vet is what I'm wondering. He is not acting lethargic, and he's had only 3 incidents of diarrhea, starting at around 10pm last night. It's almost 9 am here now. From what I can see the vomiting is mainly foam and bile (and grass). He seems more settled at the moment, so I'm hoping he got at least a little benefit from the famotadine before he puked it up.

E-vet.

Diarrhea and vomiting together usually require a trip to the vet within at least 24 hours of the start.

edited to add - if there is blood in either the diarrhea or vomit then you should go to the vet as soon as possible.

Edited by MaryJane

OK, did what I probably should have to start with and called the e-vet. She said not to do famotadine right now because we don't know what the cause of the problem is yet. Said we don't have to bring him in yet, ok to wait and see, no grass, no food for a couple of hours. She did say that if it doesn't get better, of course, that he should be seen.

Here are a few questions you don't need to answer here but you might think about.

What was Spinner doing 1- 2 hours before his symptoms started?

Did he eat new kibble (even a new bag of his usual brand of kibble) or other food for dinner or a treat last night?

Is there a chance he may have chewed and ingested a foreign object, possibly causing an obstruction or partial obstruction?

I assume there is no blood in his vomit or diarrhea.

Hopefully, by preventing your boy from eating grass he will stop vomiting.

I know they often say not to give food for 24 hours to allow time for the gut to rest, and I don't mean to suggest you go against the vet's protocol.

(Just food for thought: A few of our hounds vomit bright yellow bile if they go more than about 10 hours without any food in their systems. If Spinner does that if may be worth a call to the vet's office to ask if you could offer a tablespoon of cooked white rice a little later.)

Hope Spinner feel better soon!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead