Uti - Bladder Support Products

Twiggy has a UTI. Most likely due to immune suppression from her chemo, as she has never had one before.

She has been on Clavamox for 7 days so far, has 3 days of abx left. I thought the Clavamox was doing its job, but she had a pee accident again today (first since last Friday; and she never had accidents before this).

I'd like to get her on a supportive regimen to try to lessen the possibility of her getting more UTIs as she isn't half-way through her chemo yet.

My vet (who I have a high degree of trust and respect for) recommended Uromaxx. I could buy this online, but can't find it in any local stores. She (vet) says it is fine to use in conjunction with the abx. Ingredients are: Glucosamine (I am giving this to Twiggy separately), Cranberry Juice Extract, Vitamin C as ascorbic acid, L-methionine, Corn silk powder (I've made corn silk tea for a foster with spay incontinence with excellent results), Dandelion Whole Plant, Nettle, Ulva Ursi.

A woman who owns one of the local boutique pet food stores carries a different product. Called simply Urinary Tract Relief by Amber Technologies. This woman is much more knowledgeable than most pet food store manager/owners(in my experience), and she really researches the products she carries, so I am inclined to trust products she sells. The ingredients for this product are: Olive Leaf, Mustard Seed, Black Seed, Pau D'arco, Lemon, Pine leaves, Etyl Alchol and Distilled Water.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? Or something else you strongly recommend (any why???)

I'm not someone who refuses to use antibiotics (you should see Twiggy's medicine cabinet this past year...), but I would love to help her recover from any future UTIs and prevent them if possible.

TIA

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest greyers

I don't have any advice about the products at all (though I find the information you posted helpful for us, so thank you!) I do want to ask though if they cultured the urine to assure that she is getting the right antibiotic for the bacteria that is present? We have been through this with Prudence several times now and at first when a few days before she completed the clavomox she started having accidents again, the vet had to change her RX.

I also want to point out something that happened with us. I am not sure why Prudence had several UTI's over the course of a few months, but the vet said some dogs are more susceptible. But ever since then she has been predisposed to having accidents. Its almost like her bladder can't hold it as long after getting use to urinating so frequently. There probably isn't anything to that, but that has just been what we found. We ended up having to put peepee pads where she was occasionally having accidents and so now if she can't hold it she just goes. Its normally not more than 1-2 times a week and i know that if we start having daily accidents again that we need to check for another infection.

I hope your baby gets better on the antibiotics and that you can find something to help prevent them.

I know nothing about the other products, but if she's still having accidents, she may be on the wrong ATB. Did the vet culture the urine sample? If not, it may be a good idea.

Berk had a UTI a little bit ago (I think right after his 3rd chemo?) - but hasn't had another problem. We did a course of cephalexin for 10 days.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Thanks, you guys. No, this wasn't based on a culture, it was from a free catch and my vet was able to see bacteria in the sample.

Whenever Twiggy has had infections in the past (not UTI, but surgical infections - multiple) they have been from very antibiotic-resistant bacteria, and the "typical" antibiotics prescribed had no effect.

I really did think that the Clavamox was having some effect on this though based on symptoms, of course that has now changed. I'll call my vet back in the morning. It won't do me any good to get another catch, they'll have to do a draw to culture.

I did read further on the Urinary Tract Relief, and it has a long and dire warning panel on the side. One, that is can not be used in conjunction with antibiotics (therefore, I'll try to return the product tomorrow), and warns of "serious illness, to include irritability, change in consciousness, stupor, coma, or death." if overdosed. I'm not really comfortable with that and numerous warnings on the label for an herbal product that warns you must dose exactly as prescribed on their label or risk this.

So, Uromaxx?

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest greyers

I really did think that the Clavamox was having some effect on this though based on symptoms, of course that has now changed. I'll call my vet back in the morning.

I Did with Prudence too. We seriously got through almost all her antibiotic and then suddenly it started again. It took a different one to get rid of it. Curious to see what your vet says.

good thing you saw the warning!

Uromaxx looks like a great product-- helps that your vet recommended it too.

At the very least I would use cranberry extract. Cranberry works by inhibiting the bacteria from adhearing to the bladder wall allowing the pet to rid the bacteria when she voids her bladder making the bacteria self limiting.

If she continues to act like the uti isn't resolving you will need to stop the clavamox for 3 days and obtain a sterile urine sample (via cysto) so you may run a culture.

Twiggy is one of my GT favs- hope she feels better soon!