Kidney Diet

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

Hi! Thanks for indulging me on my non-grey post, you guys really give the best advice and are always the best place to go!

My little girl has kidney failure. She's on prescription food and Azodyl. I'm giving her a pepcid AC in the morning, although I don't know that that does anything. We were doing OK for a while, but she seems to have taken an anorexic turn these past few weeks. I changed from K/D to canned Purina NF and that worked for a day or two. I'm now mixing in tablespoons of pet store (good quality/low protein)canned food, and the last few days I've started mixing in rice or noodles to try to entice her to eat. She eats a few bites if any at all then turns her nose up. HOWEVER, she has no problem gobbling up treats, or apples, or oranges or anything else that accidentally falls to the floor while I'm cooking.

We'll be going to the vet again soon to try fluids, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can feed her as treats to sneak some extra calories in that won't damage her kidneys further?

Yes. Dogaware.com has plenty of useful info in their Kidney Disease section.

For comprehensive help though consider visiting K9Kidneys

I've lost 3 to the disease of the years, each one progressing differently.

It's a real rollercoaster of a ride trying to keep them eating and basically anything at all is better than nothing and the system shutting down. My last dog Angel would tip her bowl over as a sign she really was not prepared to eat ever again.

It is possible to syringe-feed them but this, for me, poses ethical issues as maybe it just prolongs their life for my selfish benefit.

The Azodyl you're giving is good, the upcoming Sub-Q's usually help, you can also give Sucralfate (Antepsin, and Calcitrol as well.

I decided to let my kidney dogs go just as they reached the seizures stage.

You can feed her most anything that's low protein, low phosphorus, and lowish salt. If you google "low phosphorus foods," you should find some of the lists they make up for people (I think there's one on mayoclinic.com), and that might give you some ideas.

Hugs and best luck with your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zoolaine

have you tried the home cooked kidney diet? Luna was on hamburger, rice, boiled egg, a little oil and crushed tums. She did get to where she hated rice so I used noodles. and over time she got more and more picky

Good question from zoolaine.

My previous-acute-kidney-incident dog is doing well on commercial lower protein food right now. My chronic kidney issue dog eats homecooked -- usually a mix of fatty beef, egg, vegetables, Cheerios, Shredded wheat, calcium supplement. The Cheerios have a smidge of sugar in them so they go down pretty well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

We had a kitty at my kennel who was in late stage kidney failure; the vet recommended injectable Pepcid (I think the generic name is famotidine) It is supposed to be more effective for upset tummies than the tablets. It's an injection you can give yourself, and IIRC they need it every day. Also the sub-Q fluids are extremely helpful; they help rid the body of toxins that will make her feel too crummy to eat. I am sorry your girl is going thru this; it is hard.

Guest karma98104

Much thanks everyone! Last night I fed her a butternut squash ravioli. She LOVED IT. I guess I need to learn to cook Italian, eh? :) I also gave her an egg over rice last night, she took a few bites, but it was more than I've seen her eat in a week so I'm very grateful!

We went to the vet today, her creatin and phosphorous (OK, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm sure you get it) were worse than last time, but he says they aren't THAT bad. He took xrays of her chest to see the size of her kidney and called me in to look. She only seems to have one kidney!! Either she was born that way, or one has shrunk so much it's not appearing on xrays. Given that her blood work isn't that bad, he thinks she was probably born that way.

We gave her fluids today, and if it perks her up I'll get a take home kit and do it myself at home. He wants me to continue with the Azodyl, even if it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I'm trying to buy it online,this is all so expensive! I maxed out a credit card today :cry1

Tonight I'm cooking her squash over buttered noodles with egg. :rolleyes: Lucky dog!

I find the best price for Azodyl through Amazon. Sometimes it's actually a bit cheaper to go to the store (the one Amazon lists) -- depends on the deal they have at the time.

Hugs and best luck with your pupper!

Butternut squash ravioli?? Yum!! I have one hound that developed proteinuria so I started to feed her a more renal friendly diet. Tonight's dinner is going to be gluten free brown rice pasta with some scrambled egg whites and raw green tripe mixed with dry N/F. Sounds absolutely gross too me but, she'll go bonkers for it. I'll have to try the raviolis!!