Stella & Chewy's

Guest greyers

Guest greyers

I recently started feeding Prudence a couple dehydrated patties of stella and chewy brand raw. She was not eating after losing her companion greyhound and she took these patties from strangers at the local holistic pet shop. This was an amazing feat for her to take food from strangers! They recommended I try it with her and it worked like a charm! Unfortunately it would cost me about $15 a day to feed her only these patties rehydrated so I feed her just two and mix them in with her kibble. She does well with all the flavors and her stools are good. However, for a greyhound her stools have almost always been good and as far as Greys go she is on the far less gassy side. We almost never detect toots from her!

We are in the process of possibly adopting a second grey and I would like to keep them both on the same diet. I searched but didn't come across any threads talking about this food. Has anyone on here tried it and how did their dogs do on it stool, gas, and eating wise?

If you haven't heard or seen this food, here it is

http://www.stellaandchewys.com/index.php

If she just needs a bit of meat added to her kibble to entice her... why not just buy ground beef, cook it up, divide it into portions and freeze? That would be a lot less expensive.

And maybe having the 2nd grey will encourage her to eat it plain again? So that the other grey doesn't get any of HER food, of course! :lol

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest greyers

If she just needs a bit of meat added to her kibble to entice her... why not just buy ground beef, cook it up, divide it into portions and freeze? That would be a lot less expensive.

And maybe having the 2nd grey will encourage her to eat it plain again? So that the other grey doesn't get any of HER food, of course! :lol

Unfortunately even with another dog as "competition" in the house she has never eaten plain kibble. She would rather starve herself! We do use ground hamburger, but after a couple of meals she is done with it. Thus I constantly have to rotate food with meat. Grilled and crock potted meats were the norm added to their kibble. But after losing JJ, that wasn't enough to get her to eat! This stella and Chewy's has 5 or 6 flavors and they are the most enticing of any food she has ever had. She gobbles her food every meal like she never has in 4 years of owning her. With the new adoptee, apparently human food makes him vomit so I have been warned to keep him on dog food only.

If you don't mind being in the kitchen you might try homecooking for her. Another option is something I do frequently-- I made a stew in the crockpot and add it to the kibble. My recipe can vary but, it's usually skinnless boneless chicken (I use dark meat for renal reasons), sweet potatos, kale (for calcium) and other veggies- usually green peas or carrots. My dogs flip out for this!! One thing to remember is not to add in more than 25% stew to the kibble so not to upset the complete vitamin mineral balance.

Guest MyJetta

My hound started to get finicky about her morning meal. She likes the Stella & Chewy's crumbled on top of her kibble. Jetta also gets a little wet food mixed in as well. I just use the Stella & Chewy's in the morning as a topper to entice her, and so far it seems to be working. It is not cost effective for use as a whole meal for larger dogs, but as a snack or topper it works well.

Guest greyers

Thank you for the advice tbhounds. I've home cooked for Prudence for the last 4 years with everything from excellent to moderate results. Everything from stews and lamb with apples crockpotted to grilled meats and veggies. This stella and chewy food she goes nuts for and does really well on, but I need to add our new adoptee on it next week if he works out with us and he is on a dog food only diet as he has vomitting from human foods. So I won't be cooking foods for the pups any time soon. So I was wondering if anyone else had tried the foods with multiple Greys and if they all did well on it or not. Pru has always had a good tummy for a greyhound so her results may not be greyhound typical.

Greyaholic, thank you for the info. I'm glad to hear you had multiple dogs on it and you would mix it with kibble. That give me hope maybe the new boy won't have upset tummy or blowouts! :blink: