Dog Bite

Guest june

Talking to a neighbor the other day and she told me her step-son was bit (for the second time) by a dog that lives a few blocks away. The dog jumped out of his yard to bite the kid. The boy is about 9 years old and probably has been teasing the dog (some parenting problems). Yes, the dog did break the skin. What I don't understand is that they did not report the bites! I did my best to encourage them to report this, but I don't know if I got through to them.

This makes me very nervous as this dog is on one of the walks I regularly take with my dogs and at times this dog has been loose. His owners (don't speak English very well) assure me "he isn't mean!" I guess I'll have to avoid walking by this house which is really a shame as it is one of the nicer walks through my neighborhood.

I can't think of anything else I can/should do to encourage them to report the bites, but it is very distressing.

Not saying that you shouldn't worry at all, but it's since you're not taunting the dog it's quite possible the dog won't feel any provocation to jump his fence and attack you. It' too bad the little boy has been bit, and I'm not saying it's okay... but every dog has a breaking point, even the nicest dog. And I would not be happy if some kid goaded my dog to his breaking point, then the kid's parents reported my dog for their own kid's mistake, and then everyone in the neighbourhood thought my dog was aggressive.

Like I said, I don't know the situation nearly as well as you do and this dog may very well actually be a problem and a threat, but it's something to ask yourself. Personally, there's been many a little boy I've wanted to beat too. ;)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Not saying that you shouldn't worry at all, but it's since you're not taunting the dog it's quite possible the dog won't feel any provocation to jump his fence and attack you. It' too bad the little boy has been bit, and I'm not saying it's okay... but every dog has a breaking point, even the nicest dog. And I would not be happy if some kid goaded my dog to his breaking point, then the kid's parents reported my dog for their own kid's mistake, and then everyone in the neighbourhood thought my dog was aggressive.

Like I said, I don't know the situation nearly as well as you do and this dog may very well actually be a problem and a threat, but it's something to ask yourself.

These were my thoughts, too.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Unless you saw what happened yourself, I'd stay out of it.

My boss and his family adopted a dog once. They're not dog folks--and if you listen to my boss, a normally fairly sane man, he will tell you the dog attacked his children. What happened in reality is people who had no clue how to handle a dog adopted a pup from a shelter and it was doing what puppies do--jumping, nipping in play, etc. But in his mind, that was "attacking" them.

I've spoken to his daughters--they never had to even use a band-aide on what he says were "dog bites."

:unsure

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'd be really upset if some 9 year old was walking up to my dog and teasing the heck out of him or whatever and they reported my dog for biting the kid to get him to stop. That's assuming that is what happened.

If you have walked that route before and the dog has been out before and caused you no problems, then you can assume it's just this kid he has issues with and probably for good reason, which may be why no one has called to report the bites.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I agree with all the other posts. In addition, I might call A/C to go talk to the neighbor and her step-son, not the dog owner. What they are doing is a recipe for disaster: the boy taunting the dog, while parent ignores the problem. I doubt there would be charges filed, but it's possible an ACO might wake the parent up, and let them know that what they are doing is not just stupid but unethical, and bordering on inhumane.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Ok, I agree that incidents like this are usually the fault of the kid provoking the dog, but I'm not sure we have all the details here. OP wrote that the dog "lives a few blocks away" and "jumped out of his yard to bite the kid." Where exactly did the bite happen? Right outside the dog's property (meaning the kid was a few blocks away from home)? Or closer to the kid's house?

Does the dog's owner know about these incidents? What have they done to make the yard more secure to both prevent the dog from jumping out and to protect the dog from getting teased? Has anyone actually seen the kid taunt the dog - or is that just speculation at this point? Rather than reporting it to animal control, I'd suggest talking to the dog's owner about what's happening.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

If it's true, both parties are behaving badly. I'm no fan of kids behaving badly (which is most kids these days) but someone needs to have a talk with the dog's owners if the dog, no matter how taunted, is jumping a fence and biting. The yard either needs to be made more secure or the dog needs to be supervised when outside. If the kid continues to taunt and the dog continues to "solve" that problem by escaping and biting, it's not too far off before the dog is generalizing and there's a serious incident for which the dog will pay the price.

I am going by what I was told, but here is what I know. The boy was teasing the dog last year and when the step mother found out she stepped in, but the father doesn't let her do much. The first time the dog bit the boy he was at the dogs house playing in the yard with a nephew that was visiting. This second time the boy was about a block away running with some friends and the dog bit and drew blood at the boys waist through a shirt.

The boy's father is an @ss and thinks the boy can do no wrong. They own a German Shepard (also) which the father ties (with a 6 foot leash) to the utility pole out front of their house from time to time. When he walks the dog he does not pick up after it. The step-mother tries her best but with the father it is hard.

The whole situation is a disaster looking for a place to happen. I am very grateful my dogs are not outside except with supervision because I probably would end up in jail for blistering the boys bottom if he teased my dogs!

Guest mnblewis1

I agree with all the other posts. In addition, I might call A/C to go talk to the neighbor and her step-son, not the dog owner. What they are doing is a recipe for disaster: the boy taunting the dog, while parent ignores the problem. I doubt there would be charges filed, but it's possible an ACO might wake the parent up, and let them know that what they are doing is not just stupid but unethical, and bordering on inhumane.

I agree with this. I think someone needs to say something to someone because someone could end up getting hurt really bad.

UPDATE:

Spoke briefly with step-mother the other day and asked how the bite was doing. The father finally agreed that the son is to stay away from the house where the dog that bit lives. The boy is agreeable. Sounds like this second bite has scared the boy. They checked to make sure the dog is up to date on all his shots and he is. They are not going to report the bite or do anything else. :blink:

Guest Swifthounds

UPDATE:

They are not going to report the bite or do anything else. :blink:

Maybe they're unconcerned, or maybe they're smart enough to know about mandatory reporting and don't want to be subject to investigation by the local department of children and families.