Update On Kevin's Toe

AEB

Just had a big fight with DH about the leg. Kev stuck his foot in a water bowl and over turned it. so i dabbed the foot and we started mopping up water and he just went off about how the leg looks bad and how he's suffering. And we were taking him to the vet every few days at first and now it's been a couple weeks. I said we have an appointment on Monday and that he could have made an appointment. Then in response He complained I don't let him bandage and told me he wants nothing to do with it, it's all up to me. Nice.

finalsiggy.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

Having an injury adds to everybody's stress. Maybe next procedure you do at home, ask him to help?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest madredhare

Injuries are stressful, to everyone. At my house though, I am the caregiver. My husband has no interest in helping, so it is up to me. Not to mention, if the vet thought it was necessary, don't you think he would have had Kevin back in the office before now?

Well, we canceled the appointment we had for a bandage change with the ortho as it was about 5 days after they found the huge sore. I brought him to our vet 3 days after we found the sore just to make sure it looked ok (even though it was horrible to see the tendon). She said it was ok and I figured we'd continue with his daily changes until that sore healed. There seemed not much the vet could do until the sore healed. He was supposed to be in the bandage 8 weeks. The sore happened at 4. Now we are approaching 7 (wed will be 7). I thought that when we went again there would be more to gain from the visit (i.e., take an x-ray and make the decision about how to treat the toe). I thought with the sore he wasn't getting the bandage off anyway. And it's around the sore that looks red, not the toe. Anyway, yeah the whole situation has been stressful for us. I hope Monday the vet says the bone looks good and we can leave the bandage off and just use something to cover his sore if he licks it. But tonight i might cut back on the bandaging and just address the two trouble areas. I'm sure this will happen again when the vet says kev has to have his activity restricted for x-weeks. DH is getting sick of all the ways this is impacting daily life. Argh.

finalsiggy.jpg

Another update! Kevin's leg was looking red and angry Friday night. So when we removed the bandage yesterday we did a wrap splint around the toes, padding between toes, with just cling and vet wrap and just put a small pad over the sore with cling over it. He was fussing and chewing at it. We had to re-wrap. And then this morning he threw the part around his toes. So, we left it off. He licked and chewed his foot so i put more cream between his toes and took all bandaging off. He left it alone completely after a few hours. He did open the sore a little. Moving around. But overall the leg looks better and he is leaving it alone. We'll apply more ointment before bed. He sees the vet tomorrow.

He does have a limp most of the time. It's slight. I hope it goes away. Right now it could be due the break, or maybe due to toenails on that foot being a bit too long (I am taming them back but they were only trimmed a few times in six weeks and I am afraid to push it with the broken toe so I have only nipped the tip. I'll have the vet cut it tomorrow- their clippers seem sharper. He also lost the outer layer of the pads on that foot. So I imagine it's sensitive/weird feeling. I really hope the vet gives us good news tomorrow and we get the limp resolved in the near future.

finalsiggy.jpg

When toes are splinted like that, they become stiff from non-use. He'll likely limp a bit until things return back to normal, and you may want to stretch the toes regularly (once the vet gives the OK) too.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

When toes are splinted like that, they become stiff from non-use. He'll likely limp a bit until things return back to normal, and you may want to stretch the toes regularly (once the vet gives the OK) too.

Thanks Emma!

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry to hear about the sores. Unfortunately they all too often seem par for the course with splints and bandages and thin Greyhound skin.

If he's licking at it at all, I'd put a muzzle with stool guard on him. You don't want his dirty little tongue to run all that good scabbing. :P

Agreed with Emma, the tendons tighten up from disuse. You might be able to do some P/T on the toes once the vet approves.

Good luck!

Update! Kevin saw the vet and she x-rayed him on side of the break is still a little open. She said two more weeks leash walking but no more bandaging. Said it looks good. And he's staying on the antibiotics for those two weeks. I think I will be allowed to do those stretches in two weeks. Until then light walking. And he has been leaving it alone! It's looking better and better. We'll put more cream on it tonight. Vet says it's healing well. Whew!

As an aside- he enjoyed today- went in and took over the place. He was surrounded by five techs and the vet in the waiting room. They were showering him with love. I told them he needs his own FB page.

finalsiggy.jpg

Aw, that's GREAT news!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.