Diet For Kidney Probs

Guest brit1

Personally I feed a home made diet but a friend has a 10yo large mix that was recently dx with concentrated urine and possible kidney problems altho vet says nothing bad yet and didn't recommend a special diet. My friend is feeding TOW kibble that has fish as a base and I was wondering if there is another kibble more suitable in this case, lower in phosphorus for instance. Thanks for any advice

brit

Edited by brit1

If vet isn't concerned, I probably wouldn't be either. There are a few commercial, nonprescription foods that are fairly low in sodium but phos is another matter.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sirsmom

A dog we used to have years ago was borderline kidney and we were told to feed science diet (not the prescription as she wasn't that bad) All of them but mostly the senior version have lower phos. than most. Things might have changed but also Purina One chicken was another but not as low as SD and also Innova Senior. But since your vet isn't concerned maybe just keep her on what you've been feeding?

Sammie the Mutt was diagnosed with progressive kidney failure when she was 10 or 11. She would not eat the prescription kibble. The vet said that any senior food would be lower in protein than general adult kibble. I tried a couple of different brands and settled on Science Diet because she ate it better than other brands. I also gave her some of the Science Diet canned food for seniors.

She lived about a year and a half past the diagnosis until she finally had a stroke.

Edited by fionasmom