Added A Second Hound

Guest cogsy

So we've had Ty (4yo male) for 8 months now. Hes settled in well and has come on well with life at home. Everything has gone really well and hes a little star (although he loves to whine about everything!)

So we decided to get another!

We took him to the greyhound kennels and walked him with practically every girl they ahd for about 2 months, and eventually we came across a 4yo girl called madge, and they seemed to love each other. They followed each other everywhere on the test walk, playbowed and had a good nuzzle. So we decided we would have madge and brought her home yesterday.

Since then Ty has seemed to be a little bit put out. He didn't want to eat his dinner last night and has only taken some of the highest value treats today. He has also decided to try and show how much he loved madge - both on the very first walk they ever had (he never showed any interest in any other girl that way) and yesterday, which she didn't particularly enjoy, and told him so with a couple of barks both the occasions - is this just a dominance thing because he sees her as more of a bossyboots because shes more lively?

They settled together very happily yesterday and slept through the night perfectly together. Is it just that Ty is adjusting to being one of 2 now? We have made sure to treat him first, lead him up for walkies first, take him out first, fuss him first and (attempt to) feed him first. However, madge seems to be much more waggy and lively than Ty was when we first had him - is this a sign that she might end up trying to boss him around?

Im sure that they're just working it out between themselves - they haven't really had anything but playful interaction apart from the attempted love-in, which madge just gave him 2 short sharp 'no' barks to. Its just that he seems a little bit sulky and put out at the moment.

I know that it's incredibly early days, but I want them both to settle as quickly as they can because they honestly do seem to be made for each other (they were curled up on the same bed within about 3 hours of madge arriving). Just looking for some reassurance I guess!

Edited by cogsy

Relax. Takes time. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Like Batmom said, it takes time. My 2 are the best of buds now...Pop was here first, then Zelda was added. She ended up being the alpha, but she has never ever been snarky over it and Pop loves having his sister. They'll drink out of the same dish at the same time...for general food they'll share, but extra yummy treats Pop will get growly.

Congrats on chipping!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest PhillyPups

Relax, breathe in and breathe out. They will figure out what they need to.

As long as there are no serious growls/signs of aggression, I would not interfere. DonnieDude has been here longer than LadyLu, but she bosses him around all the time. There is a reason females are called a biotch and it is not a good thing to call humans that. :lol:lol

My girls are much bossier than my males have ever been. I treat in the order I see them, they don't care if they get it first, second, or fifth, as long as they get it. :lol

Give them time, and enjoy the adjustments, they will work out who is the boss, and that role can shift from situation to situation. AnnaBanana bosses with a mere look, when she feels like it. Otherwise, she just does not care.

My personal feeling is first one in gets first is a bit over-rated, I go by age if anything, and if I have to defer it is to the comfort of the senior in the house.

Guest BrianRke

Diamond was mad for about 3 weeks when I brought Daytona and Frank home. Now they are inseperable. I also felt bad because I didnt think I was giving Diamond the same amount of attention she was getting before. I realized I was actually giving her more attention and was over compensating. Eventually, everything worked it self out and there is harmony. I now feel all my dogs get equal attention and there is little or no jealousy between them. It just takes time but its well worth the wait.

Phillypups: When it come to treats, Frank is the most pushy and butts his way in front of the others; so he gets his LAST. Daytona is so sweet and patient and waits behind them so he gets his first. You'd think Frank would learn, but he doesnt :unsure

They will figure things out on their own in their own time. He'll learn when she doesn't want to be messed with because she will tell him. As long as one dog is not being a bully to the other I let them figure things out on their own.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It takes time. Positive reinforcement for every positive interaction between them. He will soon figure out that, "Hey! I'm getting more of the good stuff (treats and attention) since she came along!"

:rolleyes:

june

My Diana get her nose out of joint every time a new foster comes here, for a little while. She gets all lazy, and clingy, and won't play - and she's the QUEEN of PLAY. Eventually she gets over the adjustment and realizes "HEY - I LOVE having another dog around! WOO HOO" :rolleyes:

It sounds like they're doing super well already. You're very lucky to have found such a good match.